C7 AC-1750 lost 5GHz signal?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-18 19:07:15
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 3.14.3 Build 151014 Rel.49676n

Greetings. New poster to the community here. 

At some point, it appears that my router stopped broadcasting the 5GHz channel. It had worked when I first set things up years back, but at some juncture apparently stopped. Rebooting has not remedied the issue. While the 5GHz channel does show as enabled in the router admin, none of my devices in my house show that channel at all. 

I don't know if I inadvertantly changed a setting in the admin somewhere, or how I might get this back up. I figure that the 5GHz channel would be my best solution for the steaming devices in my house, yes?

IDK if it helps, but I included an image below. The 2.4GHz channel works fine on all devices. 

Also- I don't know if the Firmare version could matter here (I'm using v.2), but I am always hesitant to update firmware that is working, as I have had other routers "brick" when doing so. I have not messed with this firmaware again, as it has been working OK for years.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Options
3 Reply
Re:C7 AC-1750 lost 5GHz signal?
2020-05-19 21:04:00

@Pinpoint1 

If you look at the available firmware here: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-c7/v2/#Firmware

Look at build 170525 which talks about a bug it fixes of the 5GHz disappearing which seems like what is happening now.

I can understand about not wanting to upgrade the firmware or "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of thing, but I think and upgrade is in order.

When you perform the update, use a computer that is wired to the router to reduce any potential interruption. If you can not afford to not have a router at the current time I would hold off until you are fine should the router go bad from the update, but when you are comfortable you can update the router with the latest firmware. The latest firmware has all the previous fixes before it.

Options
2020-05-22 18:00:24 - last edited 2020-05-22 20:04:58

@Tony - Thanks for your response. Just to clarify, since i am running V.2, do i need to stay within the available v.2 firmware options? If so, the most recent v.2 (newer than build 170525) is dated 5/14/2018. Should I install that? 

Assume I cannot just jump to v.5, correct?

Appreciated!

Tony wrote

@Pinpoint1 

If you look at the available firmware here: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-c7/v2/#Firmware

Look at build 170525 which talks about a bug it fixes of the 5GHz disappearing which seems like what is happening now.

I can understand about not wanting to upgrade the firmware or "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of thing, but I think and upgrade is in order.

When you perform the update, use a computer that is wired to the router to reduce any potential interruption. If you can not afford to not have a router at the current time I would hold off until you are fine should the router go bad from the update, but when you are comfortable you can update the router with the latest firmware. The latest firmware has all the previous fixes before it.

Options
2020-05-22 21:59:05

@Pinpoint1 

You only update the firmware that is your hardware version, never another. If you do, you will brick your router.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 666

Replies: 3

Related Articles