Deco M5 won't boot if pi-hole configured for both DNS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-18 20:32:59
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.4

Is Pi-Hole supported w/ Tp-Link?

I have setup my 3 stations successfully.  When then going into settings and setting the primary and secondary DNS to my pi-hole(s) it's working fine.  I see requests going through the pi-hole.

However, if I reboot the M5's (or power goes out) - then they'll never recover and stay red forever.

The assumption is that Deco is making some phone home call PRIOR to allowing internet, when doing so it's going through the pi-hole, which doesn't have internet at this point - a catch 22 of sorts.

Is there a way around this other than keeping the secondary DNS as my ISPs (or Google or whomever).

Much appreciation for any suggestions!

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco M5 won't boot if pi-hole configured for both DNS
2020-05-19 22:12:57

@Poat 

The biggest problem I have seen is when users try to reference the pi-hole in the WAN DNS which won't work as the Deco will freak out having a LAN IP in the WAN DNS. 

Are your current DNS settings configured in the DHCP server of the Deco app?

Options
2020-05-19 22:39:50

@Tony ok so that is exactly what I'm doing

I pulled up the first google result for changing DNS on Deco (https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1600/) and just went down that road

so my DHCP server section currently has both primary/secondary blank - I can point BOTH these to to my pi and be ok?

The WAN section had my ISP's servers listed - will that mean wireless won't use my custom DNS settings?

is there a way to export all my client / location settings in case I have to reset everything again :(

Options
2020-05-20 20:58:27

@Poat 

I would not reset anything, go back to the WAN settings and change the DNS to obtain the address automatically.

Yes, configure the pi addresses in the DHCP server section which should not make the Deco reset anything.

Options
2020-09-08 16:42:30

@Tony 

Hi,

TP-link M5 mesh modems.

I have manually set the Primary and Secondary DNS in the DHCP section to point to two pi-hole. The main home network works fine and can connect to the internet. The guest network is unable to connect to the internet. Only when I remove the Primary and Secondary DNS addresses does the guest network again connect to the internet. 

How do I set up the M5 mesh modems with a manually set Primary and Secondary DNS so that both the main and guest networks have internet access?

Thanks

Options
2021-03-27 19:02:01
We're on the same boat. the easiest way is to disable the isolation from main network, which is a total crap. Another way would move one of the piholes to the internet (open a port on your router and do some port mappings to the second pihole) and set the primary for the internal network and the secondary which will be used by the guest network. I did the second option, because the first is just nonsense to me.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1614

Replies: 5