Yet another "Parental Controls don't work" thread

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-22 13:51:35
Model: Archer VR400  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I'm trying to prevent access to Youtube (and other keywords) on 4 devices during the hours of 9am-4pm.
Whatever setting I choose, the response of the router is at best unpredictable.

Here are some screengrabs. Hopefully they will show what I'm doing wrong.

Also, when I try to block a URL that isn't the root, I get an error message 84701, and I can't find any meniton of what that means. It seems to be related to the slash in the URL, but that's rediculous ... surely?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Yet another "Parental Controls don't work" thread
2020-05-22 20:55:25

@Idris 

The error code is from the "/" being used.

Have you tried using the whitelist instead?

The keywords you put look to be correct, when you tested youtube did you just use the smart phone app or a computer browser?

Options
Re:Yet another "Parental Controls don't work" thread
2020-06-11 09:26:06
I've tried using both the smartphone app and accessing the router's dahsboard via a browser. Neither are consistently effective. A whitelist is not a viable option as it is a limitted set of sites that I need to block, rather than a limitted known set of sites that I want to allow access to. On the occasions when the parental controls do work, when you turn the parent controls off, the effect is immediate, allowing instant access to all websites. If you turn the parental controls on, it never works immediatly (other than to block access to the router's dashboard via a browser for the named devices) but it is at best inderteminate whather or when the blacklist will be opperational.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 755

Replies: 2

Related Articles