Deco M4 unstable speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M4 unstable speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco M4 unstable speed
Deco M4 unstable speed
2020-05-22 14:05:42
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20190620

Using M4 in router mode. Main unit and slave units are pretty close. 100 Mbps upload and 100 Mbps download from ISP.

Usually, I got 100 Mbps Wifi everywhere. This is what I expected for this set of mesh system. However, sometimes, the Wifi speed just drops, and it may last a while (at least half an hour I guess) before resume normal by itself.

When the Wifi speed drops, often, the wireless download speed may be around only 15 - 60 Mbps, and the upload speed is much worse, like 2 - 15 Mbps. If I connect to the main router using a cable, the speed is much better, like 70+ Mbps download and 70+ Mbps upload (but still lower than 100 Mbps). 

This looks like a software issue of the router. I tried to turn off different settings in the Deco app. Now I run the M4 with almost everything disabled. No QoS (set to 1000 Mbps with no high priority device), No IPv6, even no monthly report. Still, the drop may occur.

Is this something that can be fixed in a future firmware update?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco M4 unstable speed
2020-05-22 18:15:18

@izkent 

It sounds to me like there is a device taking the bandwidth.

If the issue happens in a specific pattern, then change the wireless name to something else so only one wireless device is connected, and monitor it. 

Options
Re:Deco M4 unstable speed
2020-05-22 19:16:48 - last edited 2020-05-22 19:17:23

@Tony That sounds possible, but unlikely as I know everything connected to my network. I will monitor it when it happens next time.

Meanwhile, I found another strange issue: while all Wifi device gets 100 Mbps, even when connected to the slave unit, a wired connection to the slave unit only gets 30 Mbps download (and 80+ Mbps upload, which I consider normal). The same device, with the same cable, gets 100 Mbps when connected to the main unit.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 932

Replies: 2

Related Articles