Smart plugs will not connect to new router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-27 00:47:38
Model: HS103  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

We had to switch routers and now I can't connect smart plugs to new netgear c6300 v2 router.  I have tried a variety of ways nothing works. When it tries to connect, it will not find the network. Also the WiFi network disappears and I have to unplug router to reset it  to connect phones back to WiFi.  Please help

Options
14 Reply
Re:Smart plugs will not connect to new router
2020-05-27 18:31:43

@Presto10 

Unless the router is blocking the plug from connecting there is no reason why it should not work.  You would just need to hard reset it first.  Have you done that?   Also have you contacted Netgear to see if there is any known compatiblity concerns between the two products? 

Options
2020-05-27 19:05:37

@Carl yes I've hard reset.  I've contacted tp link  and there are no compatibility issues.  I've tried all their options.  Still nothing

Options
2020-05-28 00:04:23

@Presto10 

Did you mean you contacted Netgear and there are no compatiblity issues and that you tried all of their options?  I ask because we are TP-Link and I can say we don't know of any compatiblity issues but since we did not make the router hardware we can't say for certain.  These plugs are just wireless 2.4GHz devices and they should work.

One thing you can try is turning on the router's guest network 2.4GHz and see if the plug will connect.  This way you can rule out the routers network settings on your main channels. 

Options
2020-05-28 03:10:30

@Carl yes I chatted with a technician he literally gave up after we tried all of his tricks. He said and I quote. I don't know what else I can try, sorry.   I now have 5 paperbweigh

Options
2020-05-28 16:02:18

@Presto10 

Wow they just gave up?  All I can say is I am glad is wasn't one of my agents.  Did you try the Guest network suggestion I provided?

Options
2020-05-31 12:20:20

@Carl I never did get the plugs to work.  Purchased a different brand to see if was my new router or plug issue.   New plugs connected perfectly first time. All five of them.

Options
2020-06-01 16:04:20

@Presto10 

That is werid.  If you still have our product i'd like to get our system team to look into it.  Especially since another brand did work.  If you can please send me your contact info to ussupportteam@tp-link.com or just let me know if we can use the email you used for your account here.  If also returned the TP-Link products let me know that as well. 

Options
2020-06-02 15:55:01

@Presto10 

Hi Thanks for the info.  I have sent this to my system engieering team.  In the mean time try this as a test.  Try to enable your 2.4GHz guest network and try to connect the plugs to that.  See if that works.  Make sure to use WPA2 as the encryption type. 

Options
2020-06-02 16:13:34

@Carl yes I tried that same result

Options
2020-06-03 16:19:04

@Presto10 

Hi Presto,

So our engineering team responded it appears there is a compatiblity issue with in certain Netgear routers. Netgear AX3000; Nighthawk AX4: RAX40; Nighthawk RAX35  These routers will allow the Kasa Products to connect but then stops sending the beacon, meaning it stops broadcasting the SSID resulting in the devices losing connection.  In our testing other Netgear will work like they should.  The only thing we can say is if you have one of these listed netgear routers is to contact Netgear and report the issue.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 7451

Replies: 14

Related Articles