Deco M9 Speedtest

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M9 Speedtest

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco M9 Speedtest
Deco M9 Speedtest
2020-05-27 23:02:36 - last edited 2020-05-27 23:03:48
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hey Guys, 

I know I'm being a little picky here but I want to make sure I'm getting all the internet speed I'm paying for. 

I have 1gig fiber service from AT&T and I appear to be getting that speed at my router, but when I do a speed test on my Deco unit I can't get over the 549 mbps. I'm wondering, is there some configuration that I may be missing?  My set up is an AT&T router, TP Link gig switch and Deco M9.

I am plugged in from port 1 on the router (set to 1000mb full duplex) to port 16 on the switch (set to auto but showing 1000mf).   The Deco is plugged into port 3 on the switch also set to auto but showing 1000mf.  Both lights on the switch show green which means 1000mbps.

Any ideas what I might be missing that might explain why the Deco only returns 500mbps off the switch? I do have a PC hardwired to the switch and I saw a 900mbps speed test on it. So that makes me think the router and switch is good.  

Some screen shots. 

Deco M9 speed test 

Router speed test

Switch port configuration

Thanks for your help. 

Ryan

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco M9 Speedtest
2020-05-28 11:54:42

@RyanEverhart789 I'm having EXACTLY the same problem even down to using AT&T and the speed (around 530 MBits). Was hoping this problem was solved on the forum

Options
2020-05-28 14:08:15

@mnrbradley lets work on this one together! 

Options
2020-05-28 14:45:16

@RyanEverhart789 

The speed test in the Deco has not been accurate in the past. If you want to perform a speed test use a wired computer to the Deco and use a speed testing site or speed testing app on your smartphone. If all three are showing the same speeds then that will show a lower speed is happening.

Options
2020-05-29 13:14:33

@RyanEverhart789

Just out of curiosity, have you tried plugging your M9 directly into the AT&T router? That's how mine is set up - it's not going to a switch first. I wouldn't expect that to make a difference, but it would at least verify that it's not a problem with the switch.

The other thing that I did on mine is to set the AT&T router up so that my M9 is in bridge mode (or IP Pass-through). I'm trying to treat the AT&T router as nothing more than a cable modem and my M9 to be my main home router. I followed the steps in this forum to make those changes (except I didn't need to change the Arris subnet because it's already on a different subnet than the Deco's default)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubiquiti/comments/b1x5l6/how_to_properly_configure_the_arris_bgw210_for/

Unfortunately doing this had zero impact on the speed test within my Deco M9+ (v2). I just did the recommendation of connecting a computer up directly to the Deco M9 and doing a speed test and it also gets the slower speeds (even a little less than the M9 does). So then I hooked a computer up directly to the AT&T Router (Arris) and that computer ALSO got slower speeds.

I think this narrows it down for me. Something is wrong with the AT&T router and it is not sending through the full speed on the cables. The color of the connection is green indicating a Gigabit connection (orange would indicate a 100MBit connection). I also tried changing the connection type from Auto to Full Duplex Gigabit but that didn't change anything. I guess I have a call to AT&T in my future.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 900

Replies: 4

Related Articles