Need help with settings

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Need help with settings

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Need help with settings
Need help with settings
2020-06-05 11:57:23
Model: TL-WA801ND  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I just recently got an 801nd to use as an access point to connect a whole bunch of Kasa switches to.

I did this with the intention of alleviating the device count on my main router (nighthawk r8000). I have everything set up and working right now (mostly) except for one thing I noticed is that all the devices connected to the AP are showing up as hardwired to the main router thus adding to the device count (exactly what I was trying to avoid)

Now I understand that I need have the 801nd assign it's own IP addresses to devices connected to it in order for them to be fully "seperated". I thought I had this sorted out last night but then I ran into the issue of suddenly loosing my internet connection. When I reverted back to using SmartIP my connection came back. There must be a configuration that I'm missing.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Need help with settings
2020-06-05 20:19:37

@Mbk574 

If you do not want additional devices showing up in your main router you would connect another router. Every device that takes an IP from the DHCP server will be counted in the main router. 

A sudden loss of the internet might be due to an IP conflict. Whatever is assigned to the 801 would need to be outside of the DHCP pool.

Options
2020-06-05 21:30:29

@Tony so basically there is no way to accomplish what I want with the 801?

Options
2020-06-05 23:41:18

@Mbk574 

No, not with the 801ND.

Options
2020-06-11 14:51:19

@Tony will I be able to accomplish this with the tl wr841nd? And will I be able to connect that router to one of the ports on my main router? Essentially making a "sub wifi network" branched off my main router.

Options
2020-06-11 16:13:03

@Mbk574 

Definitely, the only IP you will see is the one the main router gives the 841. The rest of the devices will sit on the LAN of the 841 so you will not see additional devices on the main router. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 620

Replies: 5

Related Articles