Deco M9 cannot remote desktop internal or external

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-06 06:14:50
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.10.9

Hi, I just installed the Deco M9 to replace a Netgear router. Previously I was able to connect to my spare latpop using remote desktop fine by just typing in the laptop name or ip address and also was able to do remote in from outside the network. However, after installing the M9 I am unable to remote desktop into the spare laptop hardwired or on WiFi. I've setup port forwarding per instructions on the app but unable to get it to connect at all. Please help.

Options
9 Reply
Re:Deco M9 cannot remote desktop internal or external
2020-06-08 17:58:50

@caoAbunga 

If you test the remote connection locally, does that work?

Options
2020-06-09 17:24:29

@Tony 

No, I can't see the laptop on my network, can't ping it either. Used to be a SAMBA DLNA server I can access using apps like VLC to stream directly. And more importantly to your question no I cannot even remote into it locally in-home network. I've worked around not being able to use the laptop as a file server by plugging the an external HD directly to the TV for now and planning to setup a NAS in the future to connect to one of the deco hubs but worried that they current issue I'm having will make hinder that process.

Options
2020-06-09 17:26:04
Original setup was Motorola Cable Modem to Netgear X4 7500v2 router with 2 external HD connected to Netgear for streaming. Was able to setup remote desktop and port forwarding fine. Current setup Motorola Cable Modem to deco hub and 2 extra base stations.
Options
2020-06-09 22:57:08

@caoAbunga 

If you are not able to ping the laptop, then check the IP settings on the laptop. The Deco uses a different IP scheme compared to other routers (192.168.68.x) so that may be it if the laptop is statically assigned.

Options
2020-06-10 15:21:55
Tried to ping and enter the ip set in the deco app for the laptop 192.168.68.109 and it does not ping or remote connect.
Options
2020-06-10 20:57:04

@caoAbunga 

So in the Deco app, you can see all devices connected, and every device including the laptop has internet connectivity, but the laptop is not able to be connected.

Do you happen to have the old router to possibly swap to verify it does still work?

Options
2020-06-10 21:49:30

@Tony

Yes able to see the laptop and assigned ip in the deco app. Swapped out the deco as you said to the old setup and it works fine no issues.

Can I send you screenshots in the app to check any settings that might have been missed?

Options
2020-06-11 15:47:53

@caoAbunga 

Since they are locally connected there shouldn't be any setting actively blocking. 

You could try disabling the HomeCare to see if that maybe it. You would go into the Deco app select more, then select HomeCare, disable all three features. If you set up any parental controls, delete those.

Options
2020-06-12 06:59:02

@Tony 

Figured it out, it was the windows firewall all along. Had to go into allow remote desktop through the firewall, probably reset itself when I plugged it into the Deco for the first time since it recognizes it as a new internet connection. Thanks for the help.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2309

Replies: 9

Related Articles