M3 / M4 AP Mode initial setup behind existing NAT

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-07 21:42:10
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi all,

About to pull the trigger on an M4 or M5 system.  My existing ISP bundles the router and modem in the same box.  I am currently using three routers connected as access points throughout the house.  I'm not using the ISP's internal wireless but I am using the wired router for NAT, DHCP, DNS, etc.  I just wanted to confirm that I can connect to my local router LAN port (no WAN available) and configure these as AP's.  Most of the instructional video seem to indicate unplugging the modem first and bringing everything back up to do the config.  I still want to presserve my existing NAT defined by the ISP router but use the Deco's at the mesh (without a double NAT).

Second question is how resilient is the automatic backhaul reconfiguration if I move these around after the initial configuration.

Is the wired ethernet backhaul configured automatically when plugged in after they have been configured for wireless backhaul?

My iniital goal is to start with an M4 3-pack and then add an M3 to fill any other holes if necessaary.

Thanks all

Tim

Mattapoisett, MA

Options
2 Reply
Re:M3 / M4 AP Mode initial setup behind existing NAT
2020-06-08 20:14:23

@N1TI 

When you first set up the Deco units you will do that while the Deco is in router mode (default setting). Once you add all the nodes to the network you can then switch the operation mode to AP Mode.. Once they are in AP Mode you plug them where ever and they will boot up and connect automatically. There is no additional configuration for the wired backhaul, the Deco will recognize the connection and operate via wired connection. You can have up to 10 Deco nodes so you have a great deal of room for expansion.

Options
Re:M3 / M4 AP Mode initial setup behind existing NAT
2020-06-08 20:51:18

@Tony Thank you very much.  I ordered the M4's yesterday and shold be coming in this week.  Appreciate the input.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 665

Replies: 2