My Deco M9 Plus slowing down

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-09 08:22:55
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.12 Build 20191014 Rel. 42025

Deco M9 Plus newly purchased was working fine for a week and later started slowing down. I restarted the Deco (Router) and speed came back, but after sometime, again the speed start dropping. Any help would be much appreciated. 

Options
5 Reply
Re:My Deco M9 Plus slowing down
2020-06-09 21:04:38

@vishnusarath 

If you do a speed test on your smartphone using an app, what speeds do you have when it works and when it slows? If you wire a computer to the main Deco node what speeds do you get with that?

Options
2020-09-14 20:28:02 - last edited 2020-09-14 20:29:45

@vishnusarath I am having the same issue and awaiting help from TP-Link.

M9Plus(2.0)
1.4.2 Build 20200725 Rel. 65637

I have main deco unit connected directly with ISP router  (1Gbps Ethernet) and when the unit is freshly restarted...I am getting full 400Mbps down

This is checked by using the "Test Internet Speed" in the Deco app on Android.

After about 30 minutes the speed drops to 90 Mbps in the same scenario no changes done to the network. No matter what I do I will get a max of 90Mbps throughput.

Unless I restart the main deco router and after that the same cycle repeats again.

On one of the other forum threads it said to disable the Anti-Virus/Malicious Content Filter option and reboot the router.

Have been monitoring the speed every 10 minutes and so far the speed seems to be holding at 400Mbps. Will update tomorrow if this has helped.

In any case this is pure garbage. For a product touted to support 2200Mbps speeds its ridiculous to see only max speed of 90Mbps

TPLink will you fix this issue?

Options
2020-10-18 15:00:05

@vishnusarath 

Hi,

Were you able to eventually resolve it?

I have a similar issue. All starts well with ~185mbs on all 3 units (195mbs confirmed by the app incoming from ISP). After a few days one of the units drops to <100. A reboot to the one unit resolves it but of course I have no intention to regularly track and restart the units every few days.

I have 3 units, in router mode, connected with Ethernet backhaul (Cat7 infrastructure). The main unit has incoming ethernet cable from the modem and outgoing cable to a switch, the switch then connects to the other 2 units as well a few other wired clients. Other clients connect wirelessly to all deco units.

Any suggestions on this would be appreciated.

Options
2021-05-04 02:48:38 - last edited 2021-05-04 02:49:53

Were you able to figure out the issue? I am having the same problem, I was testing at 20 Mbps from my phone and as soon as I rebooted all 3 units the same phone got 200 Mbps. Any info is appreciated.

Also, my desktop that is hardwired tests at 220 Mbps when the phone and laptop were only getiing 20 Mbps.

Options
2021-05-05 00:05:01 - last edited 2021-05-05 02:19:27

I have had the M9 Plus system for almost a year - it is interlinked with 3 older M5's -- it was very good for a few weeks . . . .  then I got the slowing you mention, slow starting movies, stop start stop start on streaming.  VERY FRUSTRATING! 

My ISP checked my internet connection with a 24 hour ping test (twice a second) -- it was fine 940+mbs consistently with no dropouts.

We narrowed it down to the Decos.  Spent two 8 hour days on-line with Parker Hu at Deco.  It solved the problem  for a month then back to square one :-(.

Although it is SUPPOSEDLY a 2 gig system, Parker told me that was the "theoretical" maximum speed of the chipset -- but real world performance was more like 350mbs!   WTF!! 

Why buy a 2 gig Mesh System if it will only give you 400MBS at best!!  By they way, if you use the Deco Speed Test -- it tells you the internet speed at the ethernet/modem input -- NOT the throughput speed . . . .  It gives the illusion of high speed gigabit connectivity when that is far from the throughput speed!

Today the system crashed!  All red LEDs -- the App would not see the cloud or the Decos, nor would it connect.  Eventually I unplugged all the Decos, and hard reset them all one by one, entered the same network names -- then the fun began.  Happily the 50 or so smart switches and thermostats reconnected with no problem.  But I had to go re-install all my Echo and TV devices. . . .  all thirteen of them -- the whole job took 6 hours and left me very frustrated.  Right now I wish I had read Consumer Reports sooner and bought a Netgear system -- the money I saved by buying TP Link Decos was NOT worth the ongoing frustration I have had with the equipment!

Lately I have found I am having to reset the main Deco every few days, all all of them every week or two . . . . .  so you are not alone in your frustration.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1964

Replies: 5

Related Articles