M5 HomeCare question - Parental controls and QoS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-10 13:54:22 - last edited 2020-06-10 14:00:15
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.4.4

Just installed a Deco M5 and have a few questions.

It appears Parental Controls and QoS is listed as part of HomeCare.  Information says its included for 3 years which I find strange.  Most packages like this through other mesh systems we tried had a free trial period (30 days, 90 days) then was an annual subscription service.  I'm not complaining but 3 years is a strange time frame considering the Decom M5 comes with a 2 year warranty.  After 3 years, what is the cost for this HomeCare package?

Are there more details on the Parental Controls specific to iCloud and updates or logs to show what category was blocking at a specific time?  We have a special needs son that I have some blocking on his iPad but was excited to see I could also block downloading via HomeCare.  The issue is that iMessage that we use with him uses iCloud which by process of elimination appears to be part of the "Download" category because once I allowed that iMessage started working.  However, I am was still unable to download the latest iOS update.  The error message was it could not update because I was not connected to the internet (iOS error message).  Once I tethered using my iPhone the update worked fine.  The 2 categories I suspect may have been the issue was Social Networking and Pay to Surf.  I didn't have time to keep checking, I just needed to get the update done and get to bed.

Are there plans to allow actual configuration via the browser UI?  As I get older it's great to have everything on an app but I have 22" monitors connected to a docking station and it would be great to actually be able to do everything (and more) via a browser UI.  Right now when I connect it appears it's just view only.

Lastly, QoS doesn't seem to be working as we are still getting buffering when watching Netflix.  I have priorities 2 devices and also listed Streaming as the Application Priority.  I have no physical way to get an Ethernet connection to the family room area so I placed one of the satellite M5 next to the entertainment area and connected the smart TV and Apple TV into the 2 WAN/LAN ports and still getting intermittent buffering.  Download speeds are in the 200MB range but appears latency at times is hitting 200-300ms but hard wired on a laptop in my office area is averaging 17ms.

Thanks!

Options
2 Reply
Re:M5 HomeCare question - Parental controls and QoS
2020-06-11 16:35:35 - last edited 2020-08-10 21:00:32

@MrJSpinny 

The HomeCare you are referring to will be free and will not cost anything.

The categories are powered by TrendMicro, you can try to look up a given website to see what it is associated to here: https://global.sitesafety.trendmicro.com/

No plans for browser config, only read-only like you mentioned.

Move your Deco nodes around, the signal might not be strong between them.

Options
Re:M5 HomeCare question - Parental controls and QoS
2020-08-09 03:22:55

@Tony I checked the TrendMicro site listed and the 2 URLs based on the Deco app that are being blocked when my son's phone tries to update the iOS is : mesu.apple.com and icloud.com.  Both of those URLs show "Computers/Internet" and "Cloud Applications" which are not categories in the Parent Control categories.  Would be great to see an "allowed website list" if the TrendMirco categories are not syncing with the Deco Parental Controls categories.  Not sure what Category is blocking the 2 URLs that are showing on the Deco app.  Categories I currently have blocked for him are "Adult Content, Gaming, Social Networking, S*x Education and Pay to Surf.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 742

Replies: 2