Installing TP Link Deco M9 Plus - have modem/router combo Motorola MG7550

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-10 19:50:43

Can I still use my Motorola MG7550 modem/router combo with the Deco M9 Plus?  Do I connect the Deco wirelesslesly or connect by ethernet to the Motorola?  I have Spectrum service.  I have three Deco modules.  Can they all be connected wirelessly throughout the house?  Or does the system work better if I connect one of the modules by ethernet cable to the Motorola?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Installing TP Link Deco M9 Plus - have modem/router combo Motorola MG7550
2020-06-11 17:06:42

@Gwenn 

You need to have one of the Deco units wired to the modem/router, the other two will connect wirelessly. What would be recommended is to disable the modem/router Wi-Fi so there is not any interference with the Deco.

Options
2020-06-11 18:46:29

@Tony 

I successfully installed all Deco units with one as the router as I disabled the Motorola router.  It was difficult to do as the Deco app kept asking for the wifi password and when we entered the correct one, then we got a message that it was an incorrect password.  Quite frustrating.  Now we have an issue connecting to our existing Sonos speakers and sub.  I connected one speaker to the Deco router by ethernet cable and the white light flashed on the speaker and then the light went out and no light was there.  Do you have any suggestions on the Sonos connections?

Options
2020-06-11 22:01:02

@Gwenn 

The Sonos gets confused since the 2.4GHz and 5GHz broadcast the same name.

I believe some users mentioned they wired their Sonos to the router, set up, then they were able to connect it via Wi-Fi.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1736

Replies: 3