TPLink warranty Bait and Switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-18 12:42:29
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 200427

Just want to let other people know what they are getting into with TPLink warranty. I bought a brand new AX6000 with a 1 year factory warranty.

It arrives and Ethernet port 7 is not working out of the box. I think no biggie, just contact TPLink and get a new unit no problem.

I request a replacement, (which took 5 Days to get authorized) Then after 6 more days still showed in their system as "preparing for shipment". Out of curiosity I then look at their warranty policies and here is the kicker: They state that they will replace defective units with a "Factory refurbished" unit and the warranty on that is only 90 Days.

Thus with tplink, if you buy a brand new unit with 12 months warranty and it is defective out of the box, their policy is to send you a used one back with only 90 days of warranty. THAT is a bait and switch and tells you that they believe that a refurbished unit is not as good as a new one so they limit the warranty.

Further more, it appears as if their customer support is in China, Send Email in the morning, get responses the next day. I do not care where companies have their support centers, but please have them on a 24/7 cycle so they can respond in a timely fashion! and I can have a couple of quick back and forths to sort out stuff

Options
20 Reply
Re:TPLink warranty Bait and Switch
2020-06-18 23:23:37

@Ronvp 

Thank you for your feedback.

Here are a couple of corrections:

1. Your router has a two year warranty, not one year like other companies

2. If the router is replaced it will be a refurbished unit like our warranty section states, and if there are no refurbished products then it will be with a brand new unit. The two year warranty still continues. 

3. The 90-day warranty for refurbished products only pertains to users who buy a product refurbished, not in regards to getting a replacement from an RMA

Options
2020-06-19 00:20:12
3. The 90-day warranty for refurbished products only pertains to users who buy a product refurbished, not in regards to getting a replacement from an RMA That is not what your warranty policy says. You should update it to reflect that...it avoids getting you're customers upset..
Options
2020-06-19 21:02:36

@Ronvp 

Thanks again.

I am glad we were able to clear those up.

Options
2020-06-20 09:34:39

@Tony what do you mean cleared that up?  Mr. Arrogant!  Your warranty policy states what I said. And all my other comments are valid. I am returning this piece of garbage..  TP link customer service is poor and router stability is worse! My first and last tplink product!

Options
2020-06-20 09:40:01

And replacing a brand new unit with a refurbished one is just plain ridiculous..

Options
2020-06-20 12:53:15

@Ronvp 

You might want to check with other vendor's as well then. Netgear does the SAME THING! Worse, they tell you NOT to return any cables with the router as the replacement may not have any. I had to do it and got a plain white box back for my router with a sticker that said 'refurbished'.

Check out https://www.netgear.com/about/warranty/, and from it:

============

Goods presented for repair may be replaced by refurbished goods of the same type rather than being repaired. Refurbished or used parts may be used to repair the goods.

============

This is what the RMA process is and what happens, https://www.legitreviews.com/how-quick-is-the-netgear-rma-warranty-process-in-2018_206687. Note the 'keep cables' is listed from Netgear and not in the Warranty. The post also said they got a new unit...

It isn't only Netgear that does the replacement with refurbished units, Linksys does too, see https://downloads.linksys.com/downloads/warranty/Linksys%20Warranty%20information%20document,%20All%20regions.pdf

I had a Netgear and they throughly messed up the firmware starting well over a year ago (check the forum for them). Then they started including Secuirity in the routers and REMOVED needed functions, like Tivo Support, DLNA server, and Apple Time Machine capability. That was it for me, and I started looking at other routers. TP-Link does have a 2 year warranty vs. 1 year for most others. Before you jump, I suggest you research, both the warranty and support of the new vendor you would like. Note how many have on-line support with employees of the vendor, it you think that is a good thing to have. Not many still have that available.

The bottom line though, I don't think I found any that said they'd replace a failing router with a brand new one. Please note, that the 'refurbished' Netgear router I got lasted me 5 years. Physically it looked brand new, no scratches or physcal damage seen.

Options
2020-06-23 23:53:40

so it goes on. After my wifi signals keep dropping, I decided this router has other issues, so I decided I do not want a new one and I cancelled the RMA with TP-Link and contacted Vidlogix.com where I bought this router. They tell me they only do refunds on new items not defective. HOW can I return an item as new when I receive it defective? For crying out loud. How poor can customer service get.

Options
2020-06-24 17:33:54

@Ronvp 

That is really poor. If you paid using a credit card you can probably file with them to get your money back. I know my cards allow me to do this.

Options
2020-06-24 18:02:19

@ram1220  Thanks, that will be my next action but I am also filing a complaint with the BBB, Federal trade commision and plan to lett as much people know as possible about VIDLOGIX really crappy customer service. I also got some reall interesting feed back from them after I said I plan to warn other people. See below 

"quote

Do what you will. We support your freedom of speech. The time you spend hating on someone robs you of your own time. You are literally hating on yourself and you don't even    realize it.  

end quote"

These guys got some seruous issues!!

Options
2020-06-27 02:00:40

And so, it continues. After cancelling my RMA and receiving a confirmation email that they cancelled it, today I got a email that the replacement  was shipped Anyway... I will return this new one when I receive it and persue getting  my refund on the faulty unit that I got  earlier... Absolutely the poorest customer service ever..

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 2840

Replies: 20