Unable to connect to WiFi extender: Incorrect Password

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Unable to connect to WiFi extender: Incorrect Password

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
43 Reply
Re:Unable to connect to WiFi extender: Incorrect Password
2020-12-24 08:21:02
This is the right answer.
Options
2020-12-24 08:22:11
Use the password on the back of your extender. If that still does not work, reset the extender and try again.
Options
2020-12-24 08:23:43
Reset the extender to set the username and password to its default witch is found on the back of the extender.
Options
2020-12-26 18:19:08

@YazD148 

I have same problem.  Setup device via wps and the password assigned is 60+ characters and does not match password on host network.  Setup using tether app fails.  Can connect to extenders when setup via WPS fine, but due to length of password, can't connect cameras as the -as sword length restriction is 60 characters.

tp link docs says extender password cannot be changed, it should match host, but it doesn't.  Host password is 13 characters.

have spent hours on this, obviously others have had same problem.  Have tried resetting device and using wps and tether app to configure, same result multiple times - wps works but assigns an extremely long password, tether app appears to configure but then fails to connect to host.

Modem is Centurylink c1100t

Options
2020-12-28 21:34:05 - last edited 2020-12-28 21:38:41

@YazD148 

i had this same issue and after a bit of messing about i realised that the password was coming up incorrectly because the TP Link Extender was displaying the WPS secure # of the password and not the actual password so when i was putting the password into the devices to connect to the wifi it was seeing it as wrong

i solved this by defaulting the TP link Extender and setting it up manually from the Tether App  this way i actually input the wifi password rather than it get it automatically once this was done the extended worked fine with the proper wifi password

Options
2020-12-28 21:49:39

@alanlgm 

thanks. The tether app. Failed.  I was using the default password provided in the Centurylink modem and was able to view the password generated, and it did not match, so will take your word it was the word key.

when I changed to password on the modem to a unique password of my choose and used wps, the password created for the extender then matched.

with the number of customers that have had this issue, seems they could provide a fairly simple faq resolution, 1. How to view the password generated, 2) if it's a long 60+ character string, try x or y.  Devices work great once setup but I know 100 people that don't have tech experience that would have returned vs take the effort to figure out....

Options
2021-02-15 04:48:31 - last edited 2021-08-27 03:39:08

@YazD148 SOLVED! Go into your router you use for internet, google the company you use for internet and default i.p and password if you dont know it, and once logged into it using that ip address in a browser, have a look what the ip address is on the extender under devices or the like, then put that in your browser then you will get into your extender settings, change the very long password under settings for what you want it to be then apply, I had the same problem, this solved it, no need for the unnecessary tether app. You are welcome.

Options
2021-03-31 01:13:56
Options
2021-04-13 21:42:47
I’m having the same issue trying to connect my phone and TV to the extender it keeps saying the password is wrong ive used the password we use for the router and tried the ‘admin’ password and neither are accepted in fact when I try to use the ‘admin’ password on my phone’ my phone requires more characters than the five used to spell the word ‘admin’ I’ve tried everything that’s been suggested on here and the lights on the router and the extender are as they should be feels like I’ve wasted £40 on a useless piece of plastic
Options
2021-04-17 08:00:59

I bought a second hand RE305.

<Common Actions>

I plugged it in the 220V power socket and reset.

LEDs were flickering and after 2 minutes the extender SSID was visible.

Connected and access "tplinkextender.net".

I set up a password and i thought it was for when i connect to the extender signal.

The extender saw 2.4G and 5.0G signal from the router.

Everything went through without problems.

</Common Actions>

<Problem>

All devices connot connect to the new 2.4G and 5.0G signal from RE305, there was notification that it was the password problem.

I had input the new password that i set up when configuring RE305.

</Problem>

<Common Actions>

RE305 was reset and configure again, but this time i use the android app "tp-link tether".

I set up an tp-link account as the app requires.

In the extender setup process, there was a requirement to set up a password. This time i set up an easy password.

Everything went smoothly as the first time I did.

</Common Actions>

<Problem>

I tried to connect with the newly visible signal from the extender with the new set up easy password.

Same thing happened.

</Problem>

<Solution>

I tried to use the password of the main router and It works.

Both of them, 2.4G and 5.0G.

</Solution>

Options
Related Articles