VERY difficult startup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

VERY difficult startup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
VERY difficult startup
VERY difficult startup
2020-06-25 23:28:45
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.0 Build 20200324 Rel. 51287

Is it just me or is it VERY difficult to boot up a Deco M9 Plus system.  I have 4 units, 3 are hard wired the 4th is linked via the wireless backhaul feed.  Everything in the house that can have a fixed IP address does.  Most everything else an address reservation via MAC address.  There are at least 69 devices, probably many more, 69 was what was showing the last time I was on the app.

It is painfully whenever I have to restart the system.  It took me over a half hour this morning to get it working again.  I’m not sure what is going on.  I suspect that since a majority my my IP address are fixed or reserved from some reason when the system reboots it doesn’t go to my LAN IP protocol which is 192.168.1.xx.  That throws everything off.  There is no ryme or reason as to how to get it back up and running.  Sometmes I have to restart the Deco.  Sometimes I have to restart the modem with Deco’s already up.  This morning I unplugged all the Decos and then brought them online one by one.

I’ve never had a router that couldn’t recover from a power outage.  Power comes back on, modem and router reboot and all is well again.  Not with Deco.  if the power would go out and I wasn’t home my house would shut down because the house is highly automated and depends on the LAN network.  Then again I’ve never had a router that you couldn’t back up your setting and reapply if catastrophe struck.  The good news is that it’s a great system when it working.

It’s been doing this since day one.  I had ridicules conversations tech support which lead me to believe they didn’t have a clue.  I’ve changed master Decos which the same result and many other things that I can’t recall because it was almost a year ago.  Then we started doing the same things over again which is why I just gave up.  Fortunately I have a very stable power grid, I don’t lose power often.  Recently I’ve been down a lot because I just about have a Solar Panel system up and going.  Power was down on the install (took forever to get internet back up) A breaker box failed city inspection so power had to go down again to work on that (took forever to get the internet back up)  The guy they sent out didn’t have the right tools for part of the job so another guy came out this morning, powered down, when back up I had to do the one by one boot up as described above to get the internet back this morning.  I’ve got one more go around with the utility company before the solar panels can be turned on in about a week, hopefully they don’t have to shut the power down for that!!!!

Is this a Deco thing or is this my lucky break?  If it’s me it might be time to try tech support again.  Any suggestions?

Options
7 Reply
Re:VERY difficult startup
2020-06-26 15:05:34

@Hahniv 

The Deco M9 will by default set its LAN as 192.168.68.x. In your case, you are running your network as 192.168.1.x. 

If you have set IP addresses, set them to .68 or your network will no longer function.

I think that is the reason why when there are reboots the Deco will revert to 192.168.68.x.

Options
2020-06-26 16:28:45

@Tony Within the app you can select your LAN protocol which mine is set to 192.168.1.xx.  My network was setup WAY before the Deco came into the picture.  Changing to thier default would be a monumental task.  It shouldn't have to happen.  When the system reboots it should go to the protocol that it is assigned within the app.  Yes I beleive that it is going to the default which is causing the problem.  The question is how do I make it go to the app assigned protocol without endless reboots.  If you couldn't have a different protocol it wouldn't be an option in the app.  Actually every router on the planet has the ability to setup your own LAN address.

Options
2020-06-29 15:23:34

@Hahniv 

I would verify if that may be happening. When tested on our end the assigned LAN IP stood the same.

You mentioned earlier is rebooting the modem while the Deco is on can being back the network. If the issue happens look at the LED light on the main Deco. If that is red, then it is no longer getting an internet connection. You could try swapping the Deco nodes to see if the issue is with the LAN port on the Deco, swap the Ethernet cable, and also (if possible) look at the modem system logs to see if there is an issue with the internet signal.

Options
2020-06-29 21:49:26 - last edited 2020-06-29 21:53:42

@Tony The LED on the main Deco is green.  Satellite Decos are red.  I"m not sure if I reserved the address on the satellite Decos or even if you can.  Back when I first got the system we went through all the trouble shooting you have suggested.  I've changed main Decos, I have changed ethernet cables.  Not sure how to get into the modem system logs but I can connect directlly to the modem on my laptop and there are no issues with the internet.  Nothing changes with the internet once the system is back up and running after screwing around with it for a long time.  I know I'm in troublle and judge when the sytem is backup when the Wemo home automation light switches which have their IP address reserved start blinking which happens when there is a wifi error.   Once they stop blinking I know I'm good to go.  My iPad had it's IP reserved so of course I couldn't get into the app when the system was down.  I removed the reservation and was able to log in, I checked the LAN IP setting which it was showing the correct 192.168.1.xx so the app had the right IP for some reason that's not getting to the main Delco.  

When it's up and running it's great.  My electical utility company is pretty good, I don't have many instances with the power going down.  When I first reported this problem it was when I was first setting the system up.  After much back and forth no one could figure anything out and we just started doing the same thing over again which it's a nightmare everytime the system is messed with.  Just happened again because of multiple power outages due to the installation of solar panel necessitating the shut down of the house several times.  A nightmare ensued each time.  My electrical system will be more stable now because along with solar panels I also have a battery powerwall.  I may have 1 more power shutdown ahead as the utility comapny commissions the system hopefully this week.

I don't understand why the router doesn't startup like every other router I've owned .  This replaced an AmpliFi HD mesh system which developed a problem with the router (it would not run faster than 100 mbs) which because of a weird company policy, if you buy a kit you can't replace 1 component, I decided to go in a different direction.  I still have it as a backup (just won't go faster than 100 mbs).  I fired it up just for gins, it came up as it always did, no issues with LAN IP or all the IP reservations.  So I think you can rule out any problems with the Modem which is an Arris SB6190 if that makes a difference.

Options
2020-06-30 15:06:32

@Hahniv 

If the satellite units are becoming red then it is no longer getting an IP from the main unit. If you already tried moving the satellite units closer and swapping the Deco units then it would be best to reach out to our support at that point.

Options
2020-06-30 18:51:10

@Tony Is there some sort of log file on the Deco to see exactly what it is doing?

Options
2020-07-01 23:05:06

@Hahniv 

With the latest firmware of the M9 v1 that should have web access.

Here is how you can view the logs:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2641/

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 600

Replies: 7

Related Articles