How to restrict clients in LAN from changing the MAC address ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-29 06:24:07
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.0 Build 20200324 Rel. 51287

Hi,

I'm using Dec M9 Plus in Router mode.

I see few of my clients by-pass the parental control restrictions set on my Deco App by changing the default MAC address.

Is there any way to detect MAC address changes for a client and prevent it?

It would have been great if Deco App supported creating a "default profile" under Parental control.

That way, any new device/client that connects the LAN gets assigned to the "default profile".

I could add all the relevant filters/restrictions in the "default profile" which gets applied.

Appreciate any other alternatives which can help.

Thanks.

Options
1 Reply
Re:How to restrict clients in LAN from changing the MAC address ?
2020-06-30 21:30:24 - last edited 2020-06-30 21:31:48

@rnandanrao 

Unfortunately, if you have clients changing their MAC address then you will need to look at alternative means, the Deco is not able to prevent changing as that is done client-side. Since you have users going as far as to literally change their MAC address, then you need to kill the Wi-Fi network in general.

The Deco app can not hide both of the main networks so you can look at enabling the guest network, have the clients use that then disable the guest network when wanted.

The auto-add to a parental control profile has been mentioned by other users which would be a good feature.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1022

Replies: 1