Connection to 3rd Deco M9 Is Flakey

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-30 19:54:47 - last edited 2020-06-30 20:46:23
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I've been through my Deco program on my iPad, but I can't find how to determin the hardware and firmware versions of my units.  If that's necessary, I'll be glad to add it once I know how.

I have a bit of an unusual setup.  I have a house with 2 Deco M9 Plus devices that is working fine.  (SSID: Hogwarts)  Then I have a 500' fiber optic cable that goes through an underground conduit to our barn (a guest house over 300' away - farther for the conduit, since I had to avoid things).  The barn SSID is Hogsmeade.  I don't think the house LAN will matter, but I'm including it just in case.  I have one DHCP server that's part of my firewall and use the 172.16.01x.xxx address space, so everything on the LAN is in that address space.  The devices in the barn look like they're in the house.  Other than the distance between the buildings, it all acts as one LAN.

Of course the exception is that I need two wifi networks, one for each building.

The problem is the barn is an old cinderblock building that has been renovated.  (And, thankfully, all the pig and pig poop smells and leftovers from 20 years ago have been removed!)  I have almost a typical three unit M9 setup there.  I have a main one, close to the center of the building, one M9 on one end, near a 2nd floor window, that is working fine, and a third M9, also on the 2nd floor, that is usually disconnected.  All three are connected by ethernet cabling, through a 16 port TP-Link switch.

Due to the nature of this building (the cinder block walls), reception can sometimes be iffy.  To get thorough buiding coverage, I need to either put this M9 where it is or buy another and use it as a link.

Isn't there a mode to keep all three M9s connected through the ethernet connection so even when the wifi connection breaks down, this third M9 will provide wifi for this half of the 2nd floor of the building?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Connection to 3rd Deco M9 Is Flakey
2020-07-01 17:57:18

@ImaginaryTango 

The backhaul switches automatically so if Decos are wired that will always take preference over Wi-Fi. If the Deco units are connected together via Wi-Fi, when a wired backhaul is detected it will switch to that.

So if all your Deco units are wired, they will always use the Ethernet backhaul.

Options
2020-07-01 18:19:02

That's not happening and many times I look at this one unit and find a red LED on it.  Last night it was green, but often that's not the case.

Could I have messed up something in the configuration?

Options
2020-07-02 22:51:41

@ImaginaryTango 

If it is red then it is not getting an IP address.

So if the Deco is too far to get a wireless signal and the wired connection is not working you will get that.

You could try swapping that node with the main node to see if the issue is due to the location of the node which if it is, then you may need to move it.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 429

Replies: 3