Public IP not the same as WAN IP on 3G/4G Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-01 10:18:07
Model: TL-MR6400  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi there,

I need to set up port forwarding. Instructions are easy.

Have a 4G sim card from vodafone acting as hotspot. All is connected, all devices have access to the internet.

But port forwarding does not work.

The router tells me the WAN IP is 100.79.xx.xx

Whereas canyouseeme.org says my public IP is 109.41.xx.xx.

There can not be another NAT device in play? This is the configuration on the router which has the 3G card in it  -why do I have two different IPs and can port forwarding then work?

best

Rebecca

Options
5 Reply
Re:Public IP not the same as WAN IP on 3G/4G Router
2020-07-01 20:54:59

@liveprints 

It looks like your carrier is having you inside another network (I think).

Visit other websites that show you what your IP is and if it still comes out as 109.41.x.x then contact Vodafone. I would probably see if port forwarding is done is there a passthrough on their end?

So for example say you port forward 8080, then a remote computer would use 109.41.x.x:8080 and that route to 100.79.x.x.

Options
2020-07-06 14:31:57

@liveprints 

I have the same problem and I am also on Vodafone (Romania in my case). I presented my problem here. 300Mbps Wireless 4G LTE Router Showing different Public IP Address

If you find a solution, please let me know. I will do the same. 

BTW, it might not resolve your problem but can also use ZeroTier One. It is a different approach altogether. 

Options
2020-07-06 14:47:14

@Tony, I have the same problem. I presented it here:  300Mbps Wireless 4G LTE Router Showing different Public IP Address

I tried many different IP Lookup sites. Same thing. It gives me the same Public IP address that is different than the one shown inside of the router settings. But in my case, the one in my router settings is a Private IP Address. I looked it up. Do you think it is the same situation as Rebecca's and actually Vodafone is giving us Private addresses in that range? It is the first time I hear about this: <<It looks like your carrier is having you inside another network>>

@liveprints, Can you check here whatismyipaddress.com/ip-lookup and let us know if your address 100.79.xx.xx is private or public? My WAN IP Address search got me here: whatismyipaddress.com/private-ip

Options
2020-07-06 14:48:47

PS: I had to edit the links in the previous post as the forum did not let me post them. (?!) They should work with copy/paste, of course. 

Options
2020-07-06 17:02:05 - last edited 2020-07-06 17:02:58

@liveprints This is what I found while searching for a solution. It seems it happens a lot as this is a thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT

Options