NAT Boost issue affecting wired connections only

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-02 17:50:36
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.14 Build 20200220 rel.33197(5553)

I recently purchased an Archer A7 to replace an older 10/100 router from a different manufacturer. I have really enjoyed the new router so far except for one strange issue. My internet bandwidth for wired connections is inconsistent.

WiFi bandwidth has been very consistent, with speeds > 200 Mbps (e.g. ~230 Mbps). My service is Spectrum 200Mbps/10Mbps.

However, when I run a bandwidth test on my laptop using a 10/100/1000 dongle I get strange results. The downstream quickly jumps to >200 Mbps but then over the course of 5 seconds gradually slows down to ~160 Mbps.

After reading several posts on this forum I came across "NAT Boost". The results speak for themselves:

• With NAT Boost Enabled: I see the strange behavior mentioned above
  • With NAT Boost Disabled: Consistent > 200 Mbps on wired and wireless connections

These results are easily repeated by toggling the NAT Boost on and off.

I have a mix of 10/100 and gigabit devices on the wire network, but all of the hardware between the router and my laptop is Cat 6 and gigabit. There is a 75 foot run of Cat 6 and an 8 port TP-Link unmanged gigabit switch that my laptop is plugged into.

Is this the expected behavior? I don't really understand how NAT Boost works so I don't know if this behavior is normal or not.

Thanks!

Options
2 Reply
Re:NAT Boost issue affecting wired connections only
2020-07-02 21:37:47

@nbrinks 

NAT Boost is supposed to redirect the CPU to use processing power to make speeds faster, this applies to wired and wireless. If you are getting 200 Mbps, I would not consider 160 being slowed. If you more then half I would begin to get worried.

You can temporarily change the wireless password or turn off Wi-Fi, and only have the computer wired to see if the other devices contribute to the drops. I would also use other wired devices to test the speeds to see if the drop just happens on the computer.

Options
Re:NAT Boost issue affecting wired connections only
2020-07-07 16:48:19

@Tony 

Thanks for the reply.

I have changed my conclusion about wired/wireless. After some additional testing, I am now uncertain if wired/wireless is a factor.

I am still seeing a difference between NAT Boost On/Off however. Strangely enough the difference in bandwidth for NAT Boost On/Off appears to be highly dependent on the server I am testing against. After more than 30 tests, using two different computers (all gigabit ethernet), against multiple endpoints I saw a range of bandwidth drops between ~0% and ~70%. The difference in bandwidth is most dramatic when performing single connection bandwidth tests. 

I don't have a lot of time to dig into this any more but I am consistently experiencing the highest downstream bandwidth with NAT Boost Off (disabled), at least according to several servers via Speedtest.net.

I am just going to keep NAT Boost off. I only bring this up because I thought NAT Boost (enabled by default) was supposed to improve performance, however, my experience suggests the opposite. Perhaps some layer in my network stack doesn't behave well with NAT Boost but these are the results I am seeing at least.

Thanks!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 769

Replies: 2