USB Hard Drive does not show up on LAN, kinda

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-05 12:54:59 - last edited 2020-07-08 11:47:55

Hi,

Issue: I have a ArcherC9 v5 and when I shut off DHCP on the router I can no longer see the USB drive (external WD drive) as a shared drive in windows network. 

My smart TVs and such can see it as a source of media. I can access the drive as an FTP through windows although the transfer is painfully slow. I can access the drive through \\tplinkwifi.net and I can map one of the subfolders as a shared drive in windows (but not the root directory :( ). But I can't see the share in network in windows.

Unfortunately, I had to shut DHCP off on the C9 when I set up a P-Hole DNS server as the C9 wouldn't let me specify a DNS server on the same subnet. Now the Pi is doing DNS and DHCP and everything is working perfectly, save this one issue with the USB drive on the C9. 

I've tried mounting/unmounting the drive, but that didn't help. 

Is this a limitation on the C9? Is there some requirement that DHCP be on to have the drive show up as a share? I couldn't find anything in the manual. 

Thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:USB Hard Drive does not show up on LAN, kinda-Solution
2020-07-07 21:55:09 - last edited 2020-07-08 11:47:55

@MacMemorizor 

Rather than mapping the name have you tried the IP of the router?

For example, \\192.168.0.1

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:USB Hard Drive does not show up on LAN, kinda-Solution
2020-07-07 21:55:09 - last edited 2020-07-08 11:47:55

@MacMemorizor 

Rather than mapping the name have you tried the IP of the router?

For example, \\192.168.0.1

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:USB Hard Drive does not show up on LAN, kinda
2020-07-08 11:47:49

@Tony Thanks for the reply!

I recently figured out I could map tplinkwifi.net, however I can't map the root of the drive - I have to pick a folder on the drive as part of the mapping process. When it just showed up in network with the name I gave it I could see the whole thing. The same seems to be true using the IP. I'll have to reorganize the drive to have the the folders in a folder, if you know what I mean. Lesson learned. 

However! Your suggestion really helps because it's a lot easier to remember the IP for the router than the other name and it's pretty quick to get there via run. And, when I access the drive via run instead of mapping I can see everything so at least I don't have to climb up to my shelf and unplug everything to reorganize it on my PC. 

Appreciate it!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 679

Replies: 2