P9 update bricked one of my units, now what?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-06 04:42:08
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0

On 1-July-2020 I updated my P9 at the suggestion of the Deco app.

My main unit updated to firmware version 1.1.0, but my other unit (I only used 2 or 3 units in the kit) was bricked (solid yellow led that stays on forever). I followed the (mostly pointless suggestions) of the chat support but no change in status.

Luckily I was only using 2 of 3 of the units in the kit, however this is not what I expected with a Tp-Link suggested upgrade.

After 4 days of chat support, I still have no idea when or if I will receive an RMA. They said something about verifying the reseller. However, this is a problem that was initialted by Tp-Link on a perfectly functioning unit, so it is not clear what that has to do with anything.

If anyone has any suggestion about what I can do I would appreciated it.

Thanks,

Joe

Options
5 Reply
Re:P9 update bricked one of my units, now what?
2020-07-07 22:24:55

@JoeHiggins 

In order for the replacement process to continue support is making sure you bought the devices from an authorized seller. This can be someone like BestBuy or Amazon. An unauthorized seller would be Craigslist or some other site where you buy something directly from someone else.

If the device is bricked it would be a matter of following up with the agent/support since that process has already started.

Options
2020-07-08 00:02:03

@Tony I bought it from Amazon and have sent the invoice a week ago.

I have registered my kit and it has been confirmed.

I have gone through support every day except one since this happened and they keep telling me to wait but give me no timeframe.

Options
2020-07-08 03:47:25 - last edited 2020-07-08 03:49:03

@JoeHiggins 

I had the exact same problem as you, and let me tell you, literally nothing will solve your issue besides RMAing it.

What it took was for me to email support (https://myproducts.tp-link.com/support) about my issue and be heavily specific, add in every detail no matter how mundane, namely listing all the steps you followed that were outlined online, and that flashing the latest firmware on the bricked deco didn't work. I did get my RMA passed though, so hopefully you can too.

If support still gives you trouble, call up Amazon. Their customer service actually exists and is competent, and they'll get you a representative to talk to fast, or even schedule one for you.

Though, be warned that they'll make you pay the shipping costs to them. Utterly ridiculous as it's their fault for pushing an update without proper testing.

In all honesty, if you're still under the return period, return it and go with a different company.

Options
2020-07-08 05:02:51

@SDSeb This is what I just received from 'support':

"After exhausting all the troubleshooting we have identify that your devices seems faulty and needed a replacement.
TP-Link would very much like to assist you, however per the provided proof of purchase we cannot find your retailer name in our RMA system, so that our system cannot offer the replacement."

It took them a week to figure this out.

Purchased on April 4, 2020 from Amazon. bricked by TP-Link on July 1,2020 and then they will not offer an RMA.

Really, three months worth of use for $230.

In more than 4 decades of purchasing computing & IT equipment, this is the worst experience I have ever had.

I have a lot of TP-Link gear, but I didn't realise that their warrantee was worthless. That will affect my future

decisions and purchasing advice significantly.

I am very dissappointed.

Options
2020-07-08 16:04:46 - last edited 2020-07-08 16:05:31

@JoeHiggins An update:

I contacted the Amazon 3rd party reseller.

They immediately sent me a return label. No questions, no fuss, no agonising with chat 'support', no week long messing around.

That is what I call customer support.

TP-Link: Take note.

I am now looking for another mesh wifi system.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 667

Replies: 5