How to view ip addresses of wifi connected devices?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-08 06:58:05
Model: Archer A20  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 0.9.1 4.16 v0001.0 Build 181213 Rel.33336n(5553)

Hi,

I see a list MAC addrs but not IPs under wireless statistics?

Ideally there should be one menu/location showing all connected devices LAN and WIFI? And a user comment field for each device is helpful? But I'm not finding anything like this on this router? Maybe I'm just not seeing it?

Thanks!

Options
13 Reply
Re:How to view ip addresses of wifi connected devices?
2020-07-08 16:17:53

@MartolFart 

I don't see a V5 for the A20, only V1 and V3?

I have a V1 on the latest f/w and I can see the data you want, but it is under the DHCP Server in Advanced in Network. It does not state what band a device is connected to though. You can see that under Traffic Meter though.

Options
2020-07-08 16:29:39 - last edited 2020-07-08 16:30:14

@IrvSp 

Oops, Musta finger checked that.... Cut and paste!:

Firmware Version:0.9.1 4.16 v0001.0 Build 181213 Rel.33336n(5553)

Hardware Version:Archer C20 v5 00000005

Thanks!

Options
2020-07-08 16:46:44

@MartolFart 

I looked at the Emulator for the C20, V5, you should still be able to see what you want under the DHCP server tab:

Options
2020-07-09 00:10:56

@IrvSp 

Hi,

I see no indication of wifi vs lan for devices under any of the DHCP tabs?

There is no consolidated connected devices view then?  If not, this really should be addressed in a fix release.....?

So I have to look at:

DHCP clients list (host names are displayed which is good!)

DHCP address reservations, these don't appear under DHCP clients list - This appears to be a bug?! And host names are not displayed?!

And to determine wifi connected devices I have to go to:

5G Wifi status (and then correlate MAC to DHCP lists since IP nor host names are displayed) ?

2.4G Wifi status  (and then correlate MAC to DHCP lists since IP nor host names are displayed) ?

Also, how do I identify devices connected as wifi guests?

Thanks!

Options
2020-07-09 00:26:02

@MartolFart 

Only 2 ways I know how to see that list and detail...

1. Create STATIC IP Addresses for the devices and DO NOT use SMART CONNECT so you know the band the devices connect to. A simple list is then created, and you can consult that and match it to the DHCP Server page.
  2. Use the TP-LINK APP, TETHER!

Last one is the best choice of course.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/tether/

There is even a PC version, well, not really. You need an Android Emulator and then the mobile app to run it. https://www.techforpc.com/tp-link-tether-pc-windows-7810-mac-free-download/.

Note: I have NOT used it, just I know it might be doable. I use my phone and/or iPad.

Options
2020-07-09 07:40:33

@IrvSp 

Hi,

Hmmm..... So there is no consolidated connected device list? This is a product weakness. Someone at TP-Link development should pursue this as a simple enhancement that many customers reasonably expect?!

I have set up a number of reseved IP addesses under DHCP tab for fixed devices (as I mentioned before as one fo the places to find connected device detail). Or are you talking about IP & MAC binding tab? This still presents an incomplete view of connected devices....?

I looked at Tether and it says for detailed router configuration information use the web interface! No help here that I can see....

At this point I'm better off with a freeware utility like Advanced IP Scanner....?

Thanks

Options
2020-07-09 13:38:23

@MartolFart 

Have actually tried Tether?

I have no wired connections but it gives me the list you seek (run on my mobile phone):

Options
2020-07-10 22:06:28

@MartolFart 

Hi,

I did try Tether, but I might have given up too soon when I saw the "go to the web interface for more detailed information" message.... I did find the clients screen you showed and it does include wired devices as well as guest wifi connections.... and you can drill down to MAC detail for each so this is in the ball park! It still would be nice to access this info on the web interface with details (I mentioned previously....). As you suggested, I'll have to look for an android emulator and try that out as well.

Thanks!

Options
2020-08-11 12:41:25
got it! Use a browser to login to your router (e.g. http://192.168.68.1) and you can view the list.
Options
2020-08-11 16:03:55

@hoosudaddy 

Nope.... reread the thread....

In summary, this TPLink implementation is weak at best; the cell phone Tether app is a weak workaround which provides partial views which must be pieced together.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 8859

Replies: 13

Related Articles