Archer AX6000 firmware problem report (time machine &LAG)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-17 16:31:15
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V8
Firmware Version: newest

this post is to document two specific issues I have had with the AX6000.

1. I have two seagate drives connected via the usb ports. One is a media share drive for all devices. The second is enabled as a time machine and is formatted appropriatley. I can get both disks recognized by the router. The issue is when both devices are plugged in at the same time, and the time machine is set to encrypt the backup. For whatever reason, once the second drive (time machine) is plugged in, it causes the first drive (media share) to become extremely slow and unreadable (this is a standalone 8 TB desktop backup with NAS speeds) but as soon as the time machine drive is physically disconnected, drive one operates like normal. 

Additionally, whether or not the first drive is plugged in, there are still issues with the actual time machine backup. Time machine appears to function normally when set to backup an unencrypted time machine. However, as soon as backup is set to encrypt, all sorts of weird errors begin to occur such as "apple cannot verify this time machine please make your backup again". I attempted the method of changing the permissions of the drive on the MAC itself with no success.

to get around this i attempted the spare bundle method, which I was able to get installed onto the drive, however, once I did this, my MAC would not recognize the drive when connected via the router. 

So i am forced to use the time machine option on the router, but as listed above, these errors continue to persist, and are clearly a bug in the TP LINK firmware.

2. LAG. As described in the manual of this router, it supports LAG. Unfortunately, the customer support is completely unknowledgeable about this. the majority of my topology is cisco based, so it was very important to understand what protocol of LAG is used so i can manually configure the other side of the link on the cisco switches. customer support insists that the LAG is 802.3ad, however when I set the cisco side of the link to "port channel 1 mode active" one of the two bundled links shows as Active, one as Standby, indicating that this router does not support LACP. Additionally, when I chang the command to "port channel 1 mode on" both links appear as active, indicating that STATIC LAG is accepted.

this is a compllete misrepresentation by TP LINK and i hope they fix their firmware to include the proper settings of ACTIVE AND PASSIVE to properly ocnfigure LACP on the end of the router,. 

Options
2 Reply
Re:Archer AX6000 firmware problem report (time machine &LAG)
2020-07-20 20:42:39

@agoldstein54 

With the TimeMachine and encryption, I would continue to follow up with support to see what they might find.

Having both USB drives connected that could be taking resources from the CPU which is why one drive isn't an issue.

You need to use balanced xor for your link aggregation.

Options
Re:Archer AX6000 firmware problem report (time machine &LAG)
2020-07-20 20:44:51 - last edited 2020-07-20 20:46:16

the time machine started failing even after using an unencrypted drive! such bs. tp link support is completely unknowledgeable and the gui is amatuer.

i decided to return it for an asus rt-88u ax6000 which i will flash with merlin for the features i want to unlock

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 986

Replies: 2