Wi-Fi Router Not Connecting to Internet Through Switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-23 07:17:30 - last edited 2021-01-26 23:56:18
Model: TL-SG105E  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version:

So I have a ARRIS SURFboard SB8200 Modem and directly connected to one of the ports is my Tp Link 5 port switch (TL-SG105E). On one of the ports I plugged my Google Nest Wi-Fi Router and for some reason it will not connect to the internet even thought the Modem and Switch are both connecting just fine with no issues. All ports in use on the Switch are enabled but for whatever reason the Router will not connect. Anyone have any ideas? I have already tried factory resetting every component multiple times. If I plug in the Router directly into the Modem and then plug the switch into the Router everything works, but my internet speed drops from 850+mbps to under 100mbps even thought all switch ports are set to 1000MF. Any help or ideas would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Wi-Fi Router Not Connecting to Internet Through Switch-Solution
2021-01-23 07:33:46 - last edited 2021-01-26 23:56:18

@Ramsay 

Hello Ramsay,

I found out the reasoning to my issue and wanted to make sure you knew how I found out what was wrong. So I realized that on that on this particular router there is obviously two Ethernet ports. The only way both of these ports will receive data for it to actually work is to contact your ISP (Internet Service Provider) and to add another IP address to your connection. That's why one component was working while the other wasn't. The reason why my internet speed dropped to 100mbps instead of an average of 850+mbps is because Google Nest Router limits all connections to 100mbps unless given priority which only lasts up to 4 hours until reapplied. Hopefully this helps you and anyone else on this thread. If you have any questions let me know and I'll try to help as best I can!

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Wi-Fi Router Not Connecting to Internet Through Switch
2020-07-24 17:43:58

@Empasm 

A modem will only give internet to one device either a computer or router, but not more than two. 

In your case, you need to have the router directly connected to the modem first, then the switch after.

If you are seeing speeds below 100 Mbps, then you need to use a different Ethernet cable. Especially if you are seeing below 100 Mbps, that usually is from using Cat 5 cable (limited to 100 Mbps) rather then Cat 5e or above.

Options
2020-09-16 20:15:35 - last edited 2020-09-16 20:16:15

@Tony Does it matter which port on the switch you plug the router into? Port 5 looks different but i haven't tested. Thanks!

Options
2020-09-16 22:20:43

@irwinpfletcher 

On a network switch, any port should be good, also there should be a light indicator if the port is linked at a gigabit or 100 Mbps speeds. Generally, the port LED would be amber if it is running at 100 Mbps, and green if it is a gigabit.

Options
2021-01-23 06:41:06 - last edited 2021-03-09 06:09:32

@Empasm I'm also in trouble on this issue.

https://www.kayastreetkitchen.com/
Options
Re:Wi-Fi Router Not Connecting to Internet Through Switch-Solution
2021-01-23 07:33:46 - last edited 2021-01-26 23:56:18

@Ramsay 

Hello Ramsay,

I found out the reasoning to my issue and wanted to make sure you knew how I found out what was wrong. So I realized that on that on this particular router there is obviously two Ethernet ports. The only way both of these ports will receive data for it to actually work is to contact your ISP (Internet Service Provider) and to add another IP address to your connection. That's why one component was working while the other wasn't. The reason why my internet speed dropped to 100mbps instead of an average of 850+mbps is because Google Nest Router limits all connections to 100mbps unless given priority which only lasts up to 4 hours until reapplied. Hopefully this helps you and anyone else on this thread. If you have any questions let me know and I'll try to help as best I can!

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-03-09 06:41:14

@Empasm Thank

https://www.kayastreetkitchen.com/
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5314

Replies: 6