Killer WiFi card crashing Deco

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-27 13:41:20 - last edited 2020-07-27 13:42:32
Model: Deco W2400  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20190823 Rel. 48803

Just got a new Dell Inspiron Laptop and I believe it has a Killer WiFi card that is crashing my Deco W2400. Whenever I connect it to my router it crashes so this is definitely the issue. Everything else works fine with my router. Is there a beta firmware version available, or anything else that can help me? Thank you. 

Options
4 Reply
Re:Killer WiFi card crashing Deco
2020-07-28 15:55:44

@exeterfg 

What exactly is happening?

When you connect your computer what eventually happens to it?

What is the IP it gets from the router?

When the issue happens are you able to ping the Deco?

If you go on your smartphone are you able to connect to the Deco Wi-Fi?

What is the color of the LED light on the main Deco, and the color of the satellite units?

Do you have any wired devices, and do those have a network connection?

Options
2020-07-29 20:27:49

@Tony When I connect the computer to the internet it works for a period of time anywhere from 5 minutes to half an hour. Eventually the computer loses internet connection, and when I check the router the light is red and nothing else connects to it until I unplug it and plug it back in. I don't have any wired devices plugged directly into the router but I assume they would also not work when this happens, seeing as how the light is red indicating that the router crashed. This happens every time I use the laptop so it's definately that causing the problem. I've seen plenty of people online having issues like this with killer cards and it baffles me how Dell can still use them if they cause so many problems. 

Options
2020-07-29 22:13:22

@exeterfg 

There was an issue identified years ago with the C7/D7 and the killer cards.

In this instance, I think it may be something else as the red LED doesn't mean it crashed. The Deco is saying that it is no longer has an IP address or internet connection. Which explains why your computer says there is no internet, but probably still shows it is connected to the Wi-Fi (I think).

You did not mention about your smartphone, how does that behave?

With respect to the red LED, I would swap the Ethernet cable, and also swap the Deco unit out with one of the other satellite units in the meantime to see what happens.

Options
2020-07-29 22:45:41 - last edited 2020-07-29 22:47:55

@Tony As I said everything works fine with this router. Our phones, PCs, game systems, etc. The only time an issue arises is when I connect this new laptop. I thought it was the laptop at first so I exchanged it for a new one. Unfortunately the replacement has the same issue. When I connect this new laptop the router will stop working on all devices and I have to unplug it to reset it. It doesn't affect the modem at all. And my computer will show that there is no internet but is still connected. I can't understand how this could be any other problem than a problem between this router and my new laptop, because as I said everything else works perfectly fine 100% of the time. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 824

Replies: 4