CPE210 with EAP110 not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-30 05:08:06 - last edited 2020-09-25 21:20:00
Model: EAP110-Outdoor  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Me and my dad are at our wits end with this project and in a desperate, final attempt before we try different hardware, I figured I would get on here and ask for help.

What we are trying to do is very simple, or so we thought.

We are using 2 CPE210's to make a wireless "bridge" across a pasture and then an EAP110-Outdoor access point to provide wireless internet to a small area.

We have never used TP-Link hardware before and were both a bit miffed to find that TP-Link's "bridge" mode doesn't appear to function like some other manufacturers bridge mode in that it requires an already present Wifi signal(?) to accept and re-broadcast, which we don't have.

My dad is more familiar with equipment that has specific "WDS bridge mode" settings that he can set 2 wired radios to for creating a point-to-point bridge, so TP-Link's terminology is confusing to him.

For what we are trying to do, it seems the only possible way to be set up is this AP / Client configuration.

Here is a diagram of what we have and are trying to do:

The problem is we can never get connected to the EAP110.

Every time we try - the device ends up with a 169.254.x.x address.

We can connect a laptop to the LAN port of Client CPE210 and it gets assigned an IP address no problem and can get on the internet and can ping everything in the network.

Plug in the EAP110 and nothing.

There is not a lot of configuration on the EAP110 - pretty much just setting the SSID and Dynamic or Static - we have tried both (and a bunch of different things in general) and nothing seems to work.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated - I can post more information about the configuration if needed, please just ask.

Thank you!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:CPE210 with EAP110 not working-Solution
2020-08-03 20:05:36 - last edited 2020-09-25 21:20:00

@Tony 

OK we figured it out.

Trying to use an Access Point on the end of a CPE210 in Client mode apparently doesn't work.

We had to put it in Bridge mode for everything to work.

So CPE210 Access Point <--> CPE210 Bridge <--> EAP110 Access Point worked in our set up, but not CPE210 AP <--> CPE210 Client <--> EAP110 AP.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:CPE210 with EAP110 not working
2020-07-30 16:20:15

@Paddlefoot 

The layout you have is similar to this article which should be fine: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1226/

If you were to take the EAP110 to the main router switch, using a different Ethernet cable does that work?

Another user that has a similar issue found the Ethernet cable being used was causing clients to not get an IP. You did mention a computer works, but testing just to rule everything out.

What is the hardware version and build you are using?

Even though you have a single EAP unit, have you tried setup up the AP using the Omada controller if you were originally setting it up through the browser?

Here is also a FAQ with some suggestions (issue #2): https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2512/#2

Options
Re:CPE210 with EAP110 not working-Solution
2020-08-03 20:05:36 - last edited 2020-09-25 21:20:00

@Tony 

OK we figured it out.

Trying to use an Access Point on the end of a CPE210 in Client mode apparently doesn't work.

We had to put it in Bridge mode for everything to work.

So CPE210 Access Point <--> CPE210 Bridge <--> EAP110 Access Point worked in our set up, but not CPE210 AP <--> CPE210 Client <--> EAP110 AP.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1605

Replies: 2

Related Articles