Archer AX11000 SMB Connections Not Working Properly & Device Name Not Listing Properly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer AX11000 SMB Connections Not Working Properly & Device Name Not Listing Properly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-04 03:28:54
Model: Archer AX11000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.5 Build 20200216 rel.72186(5553)

I am facing issues with connecting to my Windows 10 based computers (bwo the SMB protocol) on my network.  I just installed the TP-Link Archer AX11000 between last night and today (August 03, 2020) and ensured that I updated the firmware prior to connecting any clients to the router itself.  I am trying to connect to either computer through my Android 10 based smartphone using Solid Explorer as the File Manager to initiate the connection.  Every client that is connected to my network is running their respective latest firmware/software available at the time of making this post.

I have installed all of the appropriate software updates for my mobile device from the Google Play Store as well as cleared the cache and force stopping the application and all has failed.

My old router (ASUS - AC3200) worked just fine and I was able to connect to my computers bwo SMB.  I have an iPad running iPad OS 13.6 and I am unable to connect to either computer through the file manager app called Documents (by Readdle).

I have rebooted the router multiple times as well as rebooted each computer that I am looking to connect through and nothing has worked to date.

Before I throw this $400+ dollar router in the trash (it's too late for me to return it for a refund), is there anything that I can do to resolve this issue?  I just read the thread regarding the Link Aggregation issue that someone reported and that seems disturbing to say the very least.

Also, I noticed that this router does not pull in the computer name for Windows-based devices and instead lists the devices by the Workgroup/Domain name that they are joined to.  I have to manually edit the names of the devices when looking at the connected devices in order to list each computer properly (since they both are joined to the same Workgroup).  Is this normal behavior or do I have a wonky router?

I have not yet performed a factory reset on the router (it's my next troubleshooting step to perform) - but I don't see why I would do that when things should just 'work'.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Archer AX11000 SMB Connections Not Working Properly & Device Name Not Listing Properly
2020-08-04 17:04:35

@yoa78 

If you want to reference the device, you need to use the IP address. Typically two Windows machines can reference each other names using their own protocols, but the router can not do that for them. So if you are using mobile device you might need to use an IP instead.

If you have a Windows computer not able to access the router USB drive, first try the IP address, then try enabling SMBv1.

Options
Re:Archer AX11000 SMB Connections Not Working Properly & Device Name Not Listing Properly
2020-08-04 20:19:58 - last edited 2020-08-04 21:04:59

Tony wrote

@yoa78 

If you want to reference the device, you need to use the IP address. Typically two Windows machines can reference each other names using their own protocols, but the router can not do that for them. So if you are using mobile device you might need to use an IP instead.

If you have a Windows computer not able to access the router USB drive, first try the IP address, then try enabling SMBv1.

@Tony Hi Tony - thank you for the reply.  I was able to resolve the issues I originally posted about.

As I stated, prior to implementing the Archer AX11000, my file explorer of choice (in this instance Solid Explorer on Android and  Documents on iOS) was able to connect to my Windows-based computers by way of their machine names.

Once I implemented the Archer AX11000 - I was no longer able to do so.  I performed a factory reset thinking that would resolve the issue, but alas that did not work.  I eventually did a web search for the error that I was facing and it turns out that I was not the only one facing this issue (in a general sense).

The fix was to preface the hostname with SMB://name of computer to connect to and that did the trick.

With respect to the machine names not appearing properly under the Connected Devices status page - even after the factory reset, some devices were not displaying their names proper (i.e. my main computer was listed as the name of the Workgroup that I have my computers assigned to and not the name of the machine itself).  After setting the names properly in the Connected Devices page (I also have an Ecobee thermostat that did not have its name displayed properly either (but instead had an * as the device name), and restarting both the router and my main computer - the name of my main machine display properly when searching for SMB clients to connect to.

I'll keep an eye out for how things proceed from here - but I'm not exactly sure I am feeling the warm and fuzzies about this router ATM.  The last firmware update was published back in February and that alarms me a bit as there are ALWAYS bug fixes and new features to implement and the scarcity of firmware updates does not seem to promote long term support of this router (I tend to keep my routers for YEARS (7+))

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1252

Replies: 2

Related Articles