Deco keeps connecting device to 2.4 network on base vs. a closer deco that is in range for 5.0

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco keeps connecting device to 2.4 network on base vs. a closer deco that is in range for 5.0

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-05 02:10:27
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.4.4 build 29299221 Rel 65392

The deco seems to prefer connecting to a 2.4 GHZ network on the base Deco vs. a closer Deco where 5.0 is in range.

Since 2.4 goes further than 5.0 the AppleTV cannot connect to the 5.0 on the base, but it connects to the 2.4.  By turning off the 2.4 network, I got the AppleTV to connect to the 5.0 network using a Deco in the same room.  I even turned off the mesh technology on that device using the app, since the AppleTV does not move.  

Then I turned the 2.4 network back on, since I have devices like Sonos, Ring, Roomba that only work on 2.4.  Next time I went to use the AppleTV it connected to a different Deco, back to the main one, on the 2.4 network.  It seems like the button to run off Mesh Technology does not actually prevent it from going to a different Deco device.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco keeps connecting device to 2.4 network on base vs. a closer deco that is in range for 5.0
2020-08-06 19:59:15 - last edited 2020-08-07 20:30:30

@MikeMac 

If you disable the mesh technology and the TV still goes to the main Deco then the TV still preferences the main Deco no matter what in regards to 2.4G.

What you may need to do is to utilize the guest network. If your other devices need to talk to each other then you could leave them on the main network, and put the TV on the guest 5G network as a workaround.

Options
Re:Deco keeps connecting device to 2.4 network on base vs. a closer deco that is in range for 5.0
2020-08-06 21:46:29

@Tony That is a good idea.  Thank you for the advice.  I had not setup a guest network, so I had not thought of that option.  Of course, it would be nice if the product worked as advertised, but this should do the primary trick.  It does mean my AppleTV won't have access to the music on my computer, but I can get to the music via the Sonos system instead.  Thank you again.

Options
2020-09-07 03:11:31
This is not a solution. It's only a workaround, deco m5 should have the option of changing the 2ghz or 5ghz network for each device. I hope you can tell us when it will be available.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1002

Replies: 3