Purchased both willl they be compatible?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-07 02:40:07
Model: Archer A20  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: version 3.6

I am having DSL installed tomorrow via fibre and Frontier. I dropped my cable (spectrum) as Frontier is offering 1 gig up/down for 75 which beats spectrum by miles.

I purchased and recieved today both a TP Link AC4000 (Archer A20 version 3.6) and the Deco set AC1200 S4 (2 pack ver 2.8). I had intended the AC20 to be the 'master' and the two decos to spread wifi through the rest of the house by setting them up on hte attic and hard wiring them to the Archer A20.

The house is about 3K square feet and 4 bedrooms and living room. My quesiton was really will both work with each other and will there be various signals the family has to decide to use or will it be one unified wifi with one password (what I expected)?

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Purchased both willl they be compatible?
2020-08-07 17:34:01

@Larsenex 

Both will work with each other, how is a bit different in the back end.

So the Deco units are a mesh network that will broadcast one network name. As a device roams, they will jump to whichever node for the best connection. It is when you get the router where there will be some connection drops. That is because the mesh network is designed for seamless roaming, but when jumping to a network that is not mesh (A20), the device needs to connect the old fashion way. In doing so, you will get the monetary connection drop, but be back up and running. 

I assume stationary devices will do the majority of the streaming so I don't think that will be an issue. Should there be someone saying they were looking at youtube and it stalled for a bit, then it was probably the device going from the Deco to the A20 network.

With respect to the Deco nodes, I would set them as an access point, that way both can be wired to the A20. The mesh capabilities are still active in AP Mode.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 283

Replies: 1