M5 Network Going Down Repeatedly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-11 17:08:26
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.4 Build 20200221 Rel. 65392

My M5 network went down 5 times yesterday. I would like to review logs to see what is going on. I assume my ISP will say, "There is no problem on our end."

How do I access logs/troubleshoot?

P.S. How do I determine Hardware Version? I went through entire mobile app.

Options
8 Reply
Re:M5 Network Going Down Repeatedly
2020-08-11 17:26:47
This is not a new installation. Has been stable for months.
Options
2020-08-12 18:23:38

@soaringbear 

You could look at the M5 logs by accessing through a web browser: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2641/

When losing the internet, look at the LED light of the Deco. If the LED turns red then it no longer is getting an internet connection. Try swapping the Ethernet cable being used, and change ports. 

Other things to try would be to swap the Deco unit with another one of the satellite units.

If you have a cable modem, look at the logs in the modem, not the Deco, and see if there are critical 3 errors. If so, that would be why you have random drops.

Options
2020-08-12 18:44:25

@soaringbear I used the search function on this forum and did not find that. That's what I was looking for. However, http://tplinkdeco.net is not a secure connection. That's not good at all. That needs to be fixed.

I will try hardwire and see where I get.

Options
2020-08-12 20:00:28
I don't know the app password. The web app says use the Forgot Password link in the Deco app.But that functionality does not exist. After over 10 minutes in Chat with Help Desk when the rep finally looked at the app. The functionality to reset the password is not in the Deco app. He gave me a link to reset password on tplinkcloud.com. Reset password there. But, still cannot access logs on tplinkdeco.net (my network). After multiple attempts, my account is about to be disabled. FAQ provided does not help/doesn't match current functionality I can log into tplinkcloud.com
Options
2020-08-13 20:45:53

@soaringbear 

The FAQ mentions using a web browser, not your app. However, if you do not remember your TP-Link ID password then you are not able to manage the Deco system so you need to get that.

Within the Deco app there is a forgot password link here so if you do not see it I am not sure what you may be looking at:

Tplinkcloud is not apart of Deco, but it uses the same account which is why I think the tech tried to get you to reset the password there which does work.

I would recommend working with support to first recover your password or create a new Deco account as, without that, you can not control your Deco system. You can then work with them regarding your original issue.

Options
2020-08-14 02:20:49

@Tony I spent a few hours with Support and got nowhere. Reset the password and could log in, but not into the web app to view the logs.

When I selected the link you pointed out, it did nothing. It said to go into the Deco app to reset the password.

Bunch of circular errors.

Options
2020-08-14 21:25:17

@soaringbear 

Please provide screenshots of you trying to access the Deco through the web browser.

Options
2020-08-14 21:54:50

@Tony Have attached my logs. Hope you can help.

Backstory:

Working along and computer loses connection to Internet because Deco M5 is not supporting network and has red LED on. Without intervention, network recovers, light goes green comes on. However, we are dropping IP telephone calls, being bounced out of Zoom calls, out of work email, etc.

Today the web app let me in today. Same account and password as a few days ago. Now that I am in, I can see the logs now. Given that I contacted support via chat and got nowhere. I was asked all the same questions as before even though it has all been captured before.

Tech asked me to move a slave unit to be the master even though the network has been working for 3 months. I asked for a senior engineer. Tech said someone will reach out via email.

File:
log-2020-08-14.logDownload
Options