Deco M5 - Can I connect three units via ethernet?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-11 22:29:41
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I've been having trouble getting a reliable home wifi network. I live in a townhome that has concrete bones, so the wifi doesn't transfer well (i.e., at all) between levels. My home is hardwired though. 

Is it possible to connect each Deco M5 via ethernet in various rooms to ensure fast wifi speeds throughout the house? Or will connecting each to ethernet (and therefore to the modem/router) cause issues? From what I've read, it seems only one should be connected to the router, but my issue before has been that the signal is far too weak for extenders to connect wirelessly.

Has anyone else successfully hardwired three devices and had success with seamless wifi? 

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco M5 - Can I connect three units via ethernet?
2020-08-12 05:02:15 - last edited 2020-08-12 05:03:11

@Dave_M_ 

The answer is yes, you can hardwire the units together. That's called a wired or ethernet backhaul and is the best way to set these up.

Are you using them in access point mode with an existing router (not the modem) or do you have one M5 set up as the main router connected to your modem and the other units as satellites?

If you are using the M5 in router mode, then you would need to connect the satellites to a network switch that then connects to the main M5 (a star configuration) or you would daisy chain the M5s together, depending on the wiring you have available.

I have 3 M9 units in my house, all connected over ethernet via network switches and it works very well. Great WiFi coverage and speed everywhere in the house.

Options
Re:Deco M5 - Can I connect three units via ethernet?
2020-12-19 23:03:38

@Goose91 

I have the same issue.  If I turn them off and on or swap the ports I can get any mix of ethernet and wifi backhaul but not all ethernet.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1850

Replies: 3