Unable to write files to router-connected USB-drive in Windows 10

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-11 22:53:54 - last edited 2022-10-10 02:37:30
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 3.15.3 Build 180114 Rel.39265n

I connected a USB drive to the router and set it up on my Macbook. Everything went smoothly, I can read and write files. However, when I then tried to connect to it via my Windows 10 desktop I can only read files. I'm unable to figure out how to change any permissions/settings etc. in order to allow for writing of files.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Unable to write files to router-connected USB-drive in Windows 10-Solution
2020-08-12 14:26:43 - last edited 2020-08-12 16:43:30

@JarickG 

For Windows I think you need to go to Credential Manager.and create one for the router, using the router's IP Address, and you sign-in credentials. At least that is what I have and I have no problems.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Unable to write files to router-connected USB-drive in Windows 10-Solution
2020-08-12 14:26:43 - last edited 2020-08-12 16:43:30

@JarickG 

For Windows I think you need to go to Credential Manager.and create one for the router, using the router's IP Address, and you sign-in credentials. At least that is what I have and I have no problems.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Unable to write files to router-connected USB-drive in Windows 10
2020-08-12 16:43:24

@IrvSp 

Thank you so much for the response. It's strange because I went to add the credential like you said, but it was already there (since I had enabled authentication on the USB settings for the router) but I figured I'd remove it and just add it again anyway and it worked! I don't understand why it would have changed anything but I'm happy it did. Spent way too long on this one. Thank you!

Options
Re:Unable to write files to router-connected USB-drive in Windows 10
2020-08-12 17:11:00

@JarickG 

There are two 'options' that work together, the HELP for them:

I have ACCESS AUTHENTICATION OFF and ENABLE MEDIA SHARING ON. I think ths SHARING is the key. With that OFF I think only the Windows PC Administrator can write the files?

I had a Netgear before and they had better controls for the USB drive. Access is either on or off for the entire drive. Netgear allows folder level setting for access control I recall.

If you did have ACCESS AUTHENTICATION ON, this I think you'd need another Credential for the Share Name. I did this initially, and this is what I had:

However I could use it. My iPad DLNA Client couldn't handle the protection for access, so I had to diabable it I recall? Not sure 100%, but I did have either a program or device that couldn't show media content?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2297

Replies: 3