Outdoor WiFi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Outdoor WiFi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Outdoor WiFi
Outdoor WiFi
2020-08-17 01:08:52

Hi,

My goal is to extend my Wifi to my backyard.  We recently did some work back there to create a kids and adult hangout area behind the garage.  I'd like to be able to do work back there, have wifi speakers, wifi cameras, etc.  I bought a CPE510 because an Amazon review said it would work for this purpose, and its advertised as an "outdoor range extender."  I have an ethernet cable running from the router through the basement to the extender outside.  Whether trying to set up as an access point or repeater, nothing has worked.  I've gotten conflicting answers from TP support on whether I bought the wrong product or not.  

I would appreciate someone letting me know what product I should buy and how it should be set up.  I consider myself sufficiently tech proficient and it seems like my goals are pretty common among users, so I'm a bit dismayed on not being able to figure this out.

Thanks in advance for any help

Options
3 Reply
Re:Outdoor WiFi
2020-08-18 20:52:46

@TGone33 

The CPE510 does have the AP Mode, but the signal that it broadcasts is very directional. You would mainly want to use that if you want to beam a signal directly from one point to another like this FAQ shows: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1226/

In your case, you already ran the cable to the AP so you would need an AP that broadcasts the signal in an omnidirectional manner like the EAP225-Outdoor (link)

Options
2020-08-19 16:09:25

@Tony Thank you.  I ordered the EAP.  Once I receive it, I should set it up as an AP through my laptop, then plug it into the router?

Options
2020-08-19 20:32:51

@TGone33 

That is one way you could do it, another is to connect the EAP to your network and use our utility to find it.

Here is the quick setup guide: link

Here is a link to other documents that should help: link

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 694

Replies: 3

Related Articles