Connecting Deco App to Deco m5 that has already been set up

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-17 19:52:04 - last edited 2020-08-21 18:12:41
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

A while ago, we got a Deco m5 set up to improve our wifi and get more reliable connection throughout our house. However, as the other people living my the house aren't great with tech, they had to have some people come and set it up, instead of us doing it ourselves. Now, I need to get into our Deco to port-forward some things, and it needs an Owner ID password to log it in. Talking with the other people in the house, it seems the people who set it up for us never told us the Owner ID password, or asked what we wanted it to be. So, now I can't log in to port-forward without said password. The website said to use the app if I forgot my password, but the app directly sends me to a setup screen, with no way to connect to an already set up Deco.

Does anyone know how to connect my already set-up Deco to the app? Or how I could find out the password without using the app? Thanks, and sorry if this is poorly written, I usually don't write forum posts.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Connecting Deco App to Deco m5 that has already been set up-Solution
2020-08-18 23:00:51 - last edited 2020-08-21 18:12:41

@rob-z 

What you will need to do is create a new TP-Link ID and use an email you have, and reset your Deco devices. You can create the network again and use the network name and password you are still using so all your wireless devices connect back to it when you are done.

So gather the Deco nodes and bring them to the main node. Now power them up, and wait for them all to boot. To reset a node, get a small object and press the reset for 1 second, the LED will change. After you reset the main node, power down the satellite ones, and focus on the main node. When the main node starts pulsating blue begin the setup outlined here: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1592/

After you set up the main node, plug in one of the satellite nodes, wait for the pulsating, and then add that one, and the same after for the other node. Once they are configured, put them back where they were.

If anything goes wrong get a hold of our support team: link

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Connecting Deco App to Deco m5 that has already been set up-Solution
2020-08-18 23:00:51 - last edited 2020-08-21 18:12:41

@rob-z 

What you will need to do is create a new TP-Link ID and use an email you have, and reset your Deco devices. You can create the network again and use the network name and password you are still using so all your wireless devices connect back to it when you are done.

So gather the Deco nodes and bring them to the main node. Now power them up, and wait for them all to boot. To reset a node, get a small object and press the reset for 1 second, the LED will change. After you reset the main node, power down the satellite ones, and focus on the main node. When the main node starts pulsating blue begin the setup outlined here: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1592/

After you set up the main node, plug in one of the satellite nodes, wait for the pulsating, and then add that one, and the same after for the other node. Once they are configured, put them back where they were.

If anything goes wrong get a hold of our support team: link

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Connecting Deco App to Deco m5 that has already been set up
2020-08-19 18:42:25 - last edited 2020-08-19 18:43:27

@Tony Thank you for your help, but is there any other way? We currently have two routers (one deco, one not) that are connected, so that we can get good wifi throughout the house. I fear that resetting the Deoc may unconnect them. Is there another way to do reset the ID?

Even if there isn't thank you for your help.

Edit: when i say connected, I don't think it's just through a cable, although I didn't set it up so I can't be sure.

Options
2020-08-21 20:57:17

@rob-z 

I had checked with our Deco team and unfortunately, you are not able to switch emails so you will need to re-recreate the Deco network with the desired email address.

Options
2020-08-22 02:15:36

@Tony 

Understandable. Thank you for your help! I will talk this over with the other people in the house. Thank you very much!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 8758

Replies: 4

Related Articles