Deco M5 Intermittently Limits 100mbps Upload Speed to 6mbps. Design flaw?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-21 16:07:55 - last edited 2020-08-21 16:19:38
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.7 Build 20200725 Rel. 63377

I switched from Xfinity to CenturyLink fiber because I need a higher upload speed than 6mbps for my internet usage. Now I should be getting 100/100 speeds, but for whatever reason the Deco M5 seems to be limiting that speed to 6mbps for any connected devices over wi-fi or ethernet. I know it's the Deco limiting the speed because when I perform a speed test in the Deco app it shows the correct 100/100 speed, but speed tests on individual devices show 100/6. I say it's intermittent because sometimes on device update / reboot / factory reset I'll notice the upload speed for individual devices is up to the appropriate 100mbps, only to drop down to 6 again at an unknown time later (usually works for a day). Searching through community threads here, it seems like a handful of people have reported very similar issues with other TP-Link products, and none seem to have found a consistent solution. Is this simply a design flaw? I'd rather fix this than have to return it and find a new router. Thanks.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco M5 Intermittently Limits 100mbps Upload Speed to 6mbps. Design flaw?-Solution
2020-08-21 16:19:28 - last edited 2020-08-21 16:19:38

I tried live chat earlier today to see if there was anything else I could try, and actually received an email from a supervisor just now with something very helpful and wanted to share it here.

1. Please set QoS as standard. Open Deco app, go to more-Qos.
2. Please clear all high priority. In QoS page you can see device priority, click high priority and then you can clear them.
3. Meanwhile, you can disable the anti-virus function on the Deco app.

After that, please connect to the main deco by wired cable and test the speed.

I had actually forgotten that I set one device up as high priority. After clearing that, I ran a speed test that came out to the proper 100/100mbps. I'll reply again here if the issue reverts again, but I think it might stick this time. Thanks!

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco M5 Intermittently Limits 100mbps Upload Speed to 6mbps. Design flaw?-Solution
2020-08-21 16:19:28 - last edited 2020-08-21 16:19:38

I tried live chat earlier today to see if there was anything else I could try, and actually received an email from a supervisor just now with something very helpful and wanted to share it here.

1. Please set QoS as standard. Open Deco app, go to more-Qos.
2. Please clear all high priority. In QoS page you can see device priority, click high priority and then you can clear them.
3. Meanwhile, you can disable the anti-virus function on the Deco app.

After that, please connect to the main deco by wired cable and test the speed.

I had actually forgotten that I set one device up as high priority. After clearing that, I ran a speed test that came out to the proper 100/100mbps. I'll reply again here if the issue reverts again, but I think it might stick this time. Thanks!

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1400

Replies: 1