Deco M9 plus connection issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-23 19:46:22
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: Latest

Ok so I just got these from Costco, I was so excited to get these on around my house. I have Fios only internet (400mbits down and up), I had my ASUS n66u connected as AP and working well, so I installed this and first all goes well, followed all the instructions on the app, tested speed and works well, speed on the app itself showed even better speeds, I then proceeded to install the other ones, at my kitchen and another upstairs in Master bedroom, the one in Master bedroom lost connection but then quickly came back. All well so far , I started connecting my Echo shows and iPad and iPhones. All well, then suddenly my Alexa echos didn't want to connect and showed wrong password and then do some reason my iPhone and iPad just some started saying incorrect password, went to the app and password was right. My Alexa devices only the echos wouldn't connect at all, I even factory reset it then and nothing. I tried my Wyze cams by disabling 5ghz for a moment since they only take 2.4ghz and they wouldn't connect. I then realized that the Decos were setup as routers, I then went to advanced settings changed it to AP, restarted everything my main router included and nothing. Anyone has any ideas? Why this is happening. Also for some reason some speeds are crazy slow, way lower than 400mbits. I then went back to my ASUS and all working right again. Any help is appreciated thank you. 

Options
9 Reply
Re:Deco M9 plus connection issues
2020-08-24 21:23:27

@Guayaco36 

Please provide the exact version and build your Deco is using. In the app go to more > update Deco.

Options
2020-08-27 15:59:27

@Tony 

Ok so i finally was able to get them running withouth disconneting, first 3 hours i had all sorts of issues, kindles were getting disconnected, my alexa's werent connecting but when i restarted those devices and then connected, they have been steady, same with my MAC and iphones, i did the same with my NEST. The only issues right now are my Wyze V2 cams, which only take 2.4ghz. 

The only issue i have is why the speed just varies, so much if they are supposed to mesh and give you good signal all around the house, i have the main one in my Living room, then upstairs in my corner bedroom, another DECO but the speed varies when i go upstairs, living room i get 350mbps(downloads) and 350mbp(upload) but updstairs seems steady at 150mbps(download) and 50mbps(upload) is rare that i get more than that why? the other DECO is installed in my kitchen, a little better than my bedroom speeds but so weird becuase is not far from the main deco so why wouldn't it give me 350mbps? 

The firmware i am running is 1.2.12 build 20191014 Rel. 42025 on all my DECO's. 

Just as comparison, my Asust N66U router gave me good reliable speeds everywhere, so by just being in my living room it was giving me speed of 220mbps and 200mbps in ny bedroom and kitchen, so i thought the DECOS gave better speeds so why did i upgrade, am i doing something wrong?

Options
2020-08-31 15:40:40

@Guayaco36 

Please update the firmware on the M9 to 1.4.

If your Deco shows you already have the latest then you may be using the Deco M9 v2 which requires using the update utility. 

Download the firmware here: https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202006/20200623/Deco_M9Plus_V2_1.4.0.zip

When you extract the file there will be instructions to update the system.

Options
2020-09-02 15:25:12

@Tony 

Thank you i will do this, hopefully this works well, i have two questions, i see there is a more recent firmware release August 10, can i upgrad to this latest one? or do i have to install the one you sent me and then the one from August 10th? 

I also want to know if i connect the main node the other ethernet port as backhaul to another node upstairs and the use the empty etherport from the upstaris node to a switch, is that possible? Let me know, thank you. 

Sincerely, 

Freddy Rivera

Options
2020-09-02 20:27:06

@Guayaco36 

To get to 1.4 from 1.2 you need to use the utility, the reason being 1.2 doesn't have the browser UI where you can upload the firmware. For those that have 1.4.0 they are able to log into the UI and upload the latest firmware release (1.4.2).

You will be able to wire the Deco nodes together. So having the main wired to a satellite and then a switch to the satellite will work fine.

Options
2020-09-03 00:19:40
Took me a while to get the satellites to connect, they were appearing as red after finding them so weird how they keep getting disconnected. I then put both satellites connected with ethernet, now I have tried 3 times to do the update with the instructions following step by step, seems like all goes through and I get the last message that Decos will be rebooted to complete the update but they never are, I did reboot it manually and no update was installed , I am running in the same network and I tried doing this in both Mac Pro (2018) and PC(windows) 1) Satellites do not hold connection when not connected with ethernet cable to the main unit, why? I already reboot it, reset it, the main unit reset and nothing. 2) Why the update doesn't work? I even reboot it my router 3) This is getting frustrating and is not easy to setup, do I have.a defective unit?
Options
2020-09-03 21:21:11

@Guayaco36 

Place them all in the same room, none need to be wired, just have your main wired and all nodes are green and it is all working.

Now begin the update process again, you can this utility: https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/deco-m9-plus/#Utility

Give the Deco system time to fully reboot and return to being green again. Then log into the Deco system with your Deco app and go to More > Advanced > Update Deco, to see what firmware you have.

Options
2020-09-04 14:46:30

@Tony 

Yes this actually worked and i am now upgraded to the latest firmware, i can even see the Deco's when i type their IP address, there is so much to like in terms of features, but i am still having horrible issues with all my deivices all around, iphones, ipads, they disconnect very often, speeds drop and show no internet to run speed test, takes about 3 seconds and everything goes back to normal, my wyze cams got connected but they drop connection may times and won't record, my amcrest cant get a good strong connection to keep the resolution at 1080pm, i have to view it as very low resolution, this is just way to many issues, this is supposed to help with better signals, but is not. 

I installed my Asus back and all is back on track, no issues with cams, iphones, laptops, good strong connection, i get about 300mbps download and 300 mbps, updload speeds all the time, so far so good. This is out of 400/400 plan with Fios. 

It is time to return this, it just gave me 2 weeks of headaches and non stop disconnections. 

Options
2020-12-21 21:19:00 - last edited 2020-12-21 21:19:44

@Guayaco36  @Tony 

I recently bought AC2200 - Deco M9 Plus 3 pack - and installed them. Internet speed is around 300k wired and wireless showing around 200MBPS, if you are next to the device. I put 1 device in Office room and one in bed room and another in Bsement. My office room one is acting as the main one (Router?), but whn I walk to my Family room, hardly 20 feet, the internet speed drastically went down to 20MBPS. What should I do?

Options