WiFi Channel and TRi Band questions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-25 02:40:23
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Deco, by default, chooses Channel 4 for 2.4 Ghz band and it appears to work quite well with no other neighbors using. The tech support for my prior Asus router told me to choose only channel 1, 6 and 11. Too bad I was not informed that I could pick channel 4 or other less crowded ones to achieve much better performance. Is this generally true that if I use tools like WiFi Analyzer and find another channel that is less crowded, I can always set Deco to use that channel.

Also, apparently Deco makes it easy and transparent for us not to have to worry about 2.4 Ghz vs. 5 Ghz (there is a 3rd band used for node to node communication, I believe). By that, only single SSID is showing up on the device to be connected. This is great and again, seems to work very well. Occasionally, I do see multiple SSID's with the same name pop up on my Windows 10 PC. For my curiosity, are all 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz signals broadcasted from 3 nodes using the same SSID (channel 48 for the 5 Ghz,), WIll there be a performance issue if I accidentally connect to a more distant node or Deco would manage the throughput accordingly.

Hope the above questions make sense, your help in understanding better how Deco works will be greatly appreciated.

Options
1 Reply
Re:WiFi Channel and TRi Band questions
2020-08-25 15:59:28 - last edited 2020-08-25 15:59:53

@BenLin 

Each node will broadcast those networks so if you were near 2 Deco nodes and used a Wi-Fi analyzer you would see 6 networks. As far as connecting to a given node, that is what the Deco would do for you in directing a device to connect to the appropriate node. If you had a non-mesh network, then you would experience what you mentioned where a client stays connected to one device even if another is close by. 

Going back to the Deco, the client device would need to support the 802.11 k/v/r protocols, or else the Deco won't be able to direct the client device on where to connect to. Most current devices do support those protocols, but if you notice a device not switching that would be the first thing to check.

If I missed anything please let me know.

Options