Connect 2 M9 units by ethernet instead of wifi when neither are tied to main device by ethernet?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Connect 2 M9 units by ethernet instead of wifi when neither are tied to main device by ethernet?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-25 18:07:32
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: not sure

Hi, 

I"m trying to get better signal from downstairs where modem/router sits to upstairs.  I was able to get wifi mesh to work but I'm wondering if I could get better signal upstairs if I wired the units with ethernet cable.  The challenge is that it will be hard to get cable from modem/main deco to upstairs unless I go from main deco -->wifi--->deco 2---ethernet to upstairs-->deco3--->wifi to other deco units.

Will this work, or does the ethernet backhaul only work if units are connected to main deco by ethernet:

Modem/router--ethernet--main unit--ethernet---deco2---ethernet---deco 3---etc.

Thanks for your assistance!

Andy

Options
1 Reply
Re:Connect 2 M9 units by ethernet instead of wifi when neither are tied to main device by ethernet?
2020-08-25 22:12:55 - last edited 2020-08-25 22:14:01

@AndySmiles 

Satellite units can be wired together to improve their connection to each other so that should work if you go that approach. If you want to test it before you run the actual cable, take the node to the other, and use a short Ethernet cable. When they are wired, the LED light might turn red, but then go back to normal.

main deco -->wifi--->deco 2---ethernet to upstairs-->deco3--->wifi to other deco units. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 519

Replies: 1