Deco M5 Ethernet Satellite Unit Randomly Blinks Red

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-26 17:35:36
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.4.7 Build 20200725 Rel.63377

I have installed a Mesh system with a total of 4 units (main unit + three satelite units) that are ALL connected via Ethernet. Until recently, the entire system has worked well. Recently, though, the remote unit in our Kitchen will go offline and blink Red. The main Deco and the other two Satellite Decos always stay on and do not go offline when this happens. Why is the Kitchen unit going off line when the other units do not? Especially since they are all on Ethernet (and the software app confirms this). When I unplug the unit from the wall outlet and plug it in again, it comes back online. After a few hours, though, it will go off line and blink red again. The firmware is up to date as of yesterday, but this was happening before this most recent firmware update as well. Is the kitchen unit defective?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M5 Ethernet Satellite Unit Randomly Blinks Red
2020-08-26 20:17:59

@Mr.Tskap 

You could swap that unit either with another satellite to see if it follows the node. If the issue stays at the kitchen, it might be the connection from the kitchen all the way to where it goes (switch?) so maybe the cable/port/switch port may be the issue.

Options
2021-03-30 06:41:38

@Mr.Tskap did you ever sort this as mines just started the same issue? Regards

Options
2021-03-30 09:20:52

@LawrenceB The issue turned out to be a problem call "backlogging" or something similar (it has been awhile). This is a know problem (there are support articles on the tp-link website) where even though the M5's are hard wired together, they form a "loop" that becomes unstable and this is why my one unit would occasionally blink red as it was randomly getting dropped from the network. I solved the problem by setting up the kitchen unit via wi-fi (I was able tp p/u a strong enough wi fi signal from the main unit) instead of ethernet. So instead of etherneting two units off of the main (like I originally did when I had the problem), I made one connection ethernet and the other connection from the main unit wi-fi. From these two units, I then used ethenet connections to Deco #3 and #4. Hope this helps. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1487

Replies: 3