TPLINKCLOUD access to router behind primary router - port forwarding?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-28 17:04:24
Model: TL-WR940N  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I am trying to establish remote access to an Archer C7 which is connected via a WR940N to my modem. Each router has its own network and static IP addresses.

Two problems have interacted and wasted much time

a) having set up (and reset up several times) TPLINK IDs using the Archer C7, whenever I access tplinkcloud with the registered login and password the only response I get is that there is no camera attached. No options are given so nothing works. I have no camera and never have had one; and of course never registered an ID for one. The TPLINK ID is set up on the Archer C7 and shows correctly in the bindings list. I have chacked the problem using another machine via remote desktop and the same problem arises.

b) My conclusion is that part of the problem lies in the intervening network on the WR940N. I presume that the TP LINK ID access requires forwarding through the WR940N. However I cannot find any reference to the port that needs to be forwarded.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Next step will be to try to set up a peer-to-peer VPN to integrate with a distant location. Could be a long weekend at this pace.

Archer C7 behind WR940N. Windows 10 (and soon RPi)
Options
3 Reply
Re:TPLINKCLOUD access to router behind primary router - port forwarding?
2020-08-28 20:58:53

@smarthomeman 

Why don't you swap the 940 with the C7?

The C7 DDNS has its own URL, it sounds like you are going to: tplinkcloud.com that is incorrect.

When you register a DDNS for your router it tells you want you need to use when you are not on the network of the C7:

So to visit the router above you would enter into your browser: test.tplinkdns.com

Options
2020-08-28 21:18:21

@Tony 

Thanks, and thanks for the quick help.

Swapping the 940 and the C7 merely shifts the problem to the 940. What I want is to be able to access the secondary router - which is only connected to the internet by using the primary router as its WAN. When I check the assignment in no-ip  it reports the address as being the IP address that has been given by the primary router - 192.168.n.n

I am, of course, using the address created on the DDNS service, but it is resolving to the 192.168 internal address and hence is of no use over the internet. So even switching to tplinkdns will not alter this behaviour.

If I set up a DDNS for the primary router then that links to the ISP provider's current assigned address, quite as normal, but of course that does not give access to the secondary router. Perhaps I can specify forwarding to the secondary router but then any attempt to control the primary router will be de-railed.

Do you think there is a way to have two DDNS addresses both linked to the primary router but one of them forwarding itself to the secondary and the other one not. And if so what is the setting on the secondary router that ensures it will be remotely controllable?

Still mystified by why tplinkcloud demands a camera connection and gives no option to connect to a router - either of them.

Regards

Archer C7 behind WR940N. Windows 10 (and soon RPi)
Options
2020-08-31 16:17:31

@smarthomeman 

What I would try to do is forward the HTTP web port that is used to manage the router.

The C7 allows you to change the HTTP web management port so you can set that one different from 80, then put the DDNS with ":" and the port number after. So for example you will get to the C7 by doing c7name.tplinkdns.com:1000

I do not think you can change the HTTP port on the 940 so you can leave port 80 to the 940. 

Whichever router send up being behind the other router is what will be port forwarded. So if the 940 is connecting to the C7, in the C7 you would create a port forward rule for the WAN IP of the 940 and port 80.

If you have the C7 connected to the 940, you would forward the WAN IP of the C7 and port 1000.

Options