Deco privacy and security

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-29 23:44:39
Model: Deco  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I found this text on a review of the Deco on the web at https://the-gadgeteer.com/2017/05/26/tp-link-deco-m5-wifi-system-review/

The text:  Using this system requires you to set up a new network that, along with the app, are connected to TP-Link at all times. This gives you the benefits of continuous worry-free network security and remote access, but your data can be reported to the company and/or may be subject to privacy risks.

Does TP-Link or anyone else have access to the data moving on the mesh wi-fi within my network? 

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Mark

Options
9 Reply
Re:Deco privacy and security
2020-09-01 17:40:02

@MarkCP 

After the Deco is bound to a cloud account, limited data is collected in order to deliver the basic functionality such as controlling and managing your Deco remotely.

We will not send marketing communications without any notification or your consent, and we won't sell user data to third parties. We may only transfer personal data to third parties if this is required for the fulfillment of our services. For example, HomeCare is a third-party service available on some routers that are powered by TrendMicro.

Options
2020-10-07 11:51:41

@Tony hello. How is all the SSID information relating to home wifi stored. What happens do the SSID password? 

Options
2020-10-07 21:17:46

@Farqanal 

I have not seen anything that states we do so it should be local. Mainly information that is used would be what a third-party app would pass in order to use it like Alexa.

Options
2020-10-11 22:40:21

Hi @Tony,

Thank you for your response.

To confirm TP-Link does not collect any information about my SSID and my password that I have set on my Deco M9 mesh network? 

I noticed that from the iOS deco app I can simply share my SSID and password in plain text.

Is the information between Deco and TP-Link encrypted?  Is it encrypted at rest or in motion?

Can you please tell me where this is stated in your terms and conditions.

Thank you again for your help @Tony 

Tony wrote

@Farqanal 

I have not seen anything that states we do so it should be local. Mainly information that is used would be what a third-party app would pass in order to use it like Alexa.

Options
2020-10-12 21:32:46

@Farqanal 

Please send an email to our team that deals specifically with this here: privacy.us@tp-link.com

Options
2021-01-05 05:03:56

@Tony 

I just went to set up Deco and read over the privacy policy. In your message you say limited data is collected after connecting to the cloud. I couldn't find that in the privacy policy anywhere. What I did find was concerning: "We also automatically collect browsing and usage information, which may include your internet protocol (IP) address, MAC address, access times, location, mobile device information, operating system, browser type, certain demographic information, application information, and other information associated with how you interact with the pages and Services." The privacy policy then says that you use the information collected for the following purposes: ...Personalize the products and services; ...Analyze how you use the Products and Services; ...To provide marketing and promotional efforts; ...For other legally permissible purposes". This information can then be shared as part of a merger, acquisition, asset sale, asset purchase, financing, bankruptcy, or other change of control."

The privacy policy seems to read that you can collect all my browsing history and internet usage data and then have an asset sale where that data is packaged and sold to a data aggregator company or other third party with a very different privacy policy. On the other hand, you mention that limited data is collected. Am I reading something wrong? It seems like the privacy policy allows tp-link to collect vast quantities of data, whereas you claim that limited data is collected. Why are these data collection restrictions you mention not contained in the privacy policy? In a court of law, I think the privacy policy would hold more weight than the vague statement 'limited data is collected' posted on a forum, so why should I trust your statement over the vast data collection allowances written into tp-link's privacy policy?

Thanks for your help clearing up this issue.

Options
2021-01-07 22:14:39 - last edited 2021-01-07 22:15:45

@1029384756 

If you are located in California you can review a document we have here regarding how data is handled: https://www.tp-link.com/us/about-us/privacy/your-california-privacy-rights/

I would recommend reaching out to the team that specialized in that (email in link above) to get clarifications, even if not located in California to get an answer.

Options
2021-01-24 14:30:03

@Tony 

I'm considering purchasing the deco system and have taken a look at their privacy policy. This has left me very concerned by the extensive rights they would claim over access my data, much of which appears to extend far beyond what might be expected for purely operational and support reasons. I wondered if you ever received a reply from their privacy team and if so whether this set your mind at rest? Many thanks.

Options
2021-07-06 03:41:47

@Tony 

Also a bump wondering 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 6928

Replies: 9

Related Articles