Deco S4 not obtaining DHCP address from ISP through cable modem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-31 23:58:25
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.8

Just bought a Deco S4 on Thursday. My Deco S4 was working for few minutes this morning until the app said to update the firmware which I allowed to happen.  After the reboot the S4 will not connect to the internet.  When I look at the advanced info, it has not obtained a dynamic IP from the ISP through the cable modem.  If I unplug the ethernet cord and plug it into my laptop... no problems, it gets an IP address right away.   The same is true from TP-Link WiFi router which I am trying to replace with the mesh system.  Support was no real help because they just had me repeat what I had done 4 times before... ala reset the S4 device and rerun the initial setup.  Everytime it fails when it gets to the point where the main deco is trying to obtain a dynamic IP via DCHP through the cable modem.  I'm stuck and about to return all this stuff because it is a bunch of paper weights at this point.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco S4 not obtaining DHCP address from ISP through cable modem
2020-09-01 21:55:00

@PDoragh 

Your cable modem is not recognizing the new router.

Leave the S4 on, and only reboot the cable modem, leave that for several minutes. 

If that does not work, power down the cable modem, disconnect the coax, and boot the cable modem, wait 5 minutes then screw the coax cable. 

If neither work, contact your ISP with the router and modem being on and tell them to reset the MAC binding.

Options
Re:Deco S4 not obtaining DHCP address from ISP through cable modem
2020-09-29 01:51:09

@Tony Thanks, I'll try those steps as soon as my family can stand not having internet for an hour or so :-) 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1130

Replies: 2