AX11000 locking up when more than 5 cables are plugged into it

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-01 17:46:55 - last edited 2020-09-02 01:29:50
Model: Archer AX11000  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I searched the forum, and didn't see anything like this.  I have a new AX11000, and one of the reasons I chose it was because of the extra LAN ports on the back of the router.  My old router had only 5, and I cascaded a switch off of it to get enough connections.  Unfortunately, if I switch more than 5 cables to the LAN ports on the AX11000, the light on the top changes to red, and the router stops communicating, even with local clients.  I can't bring up the login page on the router when I do this.  If I unplug the additional cables from the LAN ports, the status light on the top returns to white, and everything is fine.  Have others experienced this? 

[EDIT]

I have a second AX11000 and it behaves in exactly the same way.  It is only specific cable runs (all wired cat 6), to other places in the house that seem to trigger the issue in the router.  The cheap trend-net 1GB switch has no trouble driving those cables (none are more than 100 ft.), but the tp-link goes nuts when connected to any of those runs.

At the end of each of those runs is another GB switch, and the connection between each of them has tested at full speed, so I don't think it's the cabling that's at fault.  I'm starting to think that the power supply for driving the LAN ports isn't up to driving multiple long runs.

Options
3 Reply
Re:AX11000 locking up when more than 5 cables are plugged into it
2020-09-02 16:03:51

@MartinKnutson 

Check all your cable connections to make sure you do not have a network loopback happening.

Options
2020-09-02 17:18:22

Tony wrote

@MartinKnutson 

Check all your cable connections to make sure you do not have a network loopback happening.

@Tony Good call.  I found a non-obvious loopback through a DirecTV MOCA adapter.  Eliminating that seems to fix the problem.  I guess the switches were providing some insulation from the issue.

Options
2020-09-02 20:27:57

@MartinKnutson 

Thank you for the update, glad things are working normally now.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 546

Replies: 3