HS220 Hardware Vers 2 Switches Periodically Dim Then Come Back Up but Not HS220 Hardware Version 1's

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

HS220 Hardware Vers 2 Switches Periodically Dim Then Come Back Up but Not HS220 Hardware Version 1's

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-01 21:03:05
Model: HS220  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.3

I have several Kasa smart dimmers. I recently received the new hardware versions with 2.0 and firmware 1.0.3. The issue with these newer models I have found is that they periodically drop to the lowest dim and then back up to whatever you have your highest setting at. The older HS220 models with hardware version 1.0 firmware version 1.5.11 do not have this problem. If you are not aware of the issue please have a tech look into updating the firmware. I notice this issue because I have a dozen switches that I can see the difference in how these two models are reacting. There are no other changing variables except the difference in the two models.

Options
14 Reply
Re:HS220 Hardware Vers 2 Switches Periodically Dim Then Come Back Up but Not HS220 Hardware Version 1's
2020-09-04 21:27:48

@GABB5683 

If you were to perform the recalibration for the dim settings, and also swapped the bulbs from the v1 and v2 are you still seeing the same issue?

Options
Re:HS220 Hardware Vers 2 Switches Periodically Dim Then Come Back Up but Not HS220 Hardware Version 1's
2020-09-11 23:41:17

@Tony Hello.

Yes. Different bulbs and recalibrated has the same results. I should also mention that when the lights dim then immediately come back to the regular setting (happens at all levels) the wi-fi green light flashes for a whilte but never actually disonnects. I have had them disconnect in the past and know that they go to full power afterwards. In this situation, lets say I have it at dim level 2, it drops to 1 then back to 2, not full power as it would if disconnected. Also, something else I found very strange with these new version2 switches: same bulbs same fixture - the new version switch does not let me calibrate as low as version 1 switches. Lets say on version 1 i take it down to a very dim light level and I'm on or 1 "tap" above the LED line level in the calibration. To get the same light result from the bulb on the version 2 switches I have to "tap" down at or below the Incadecent calibration line for the same result. Totally separate issue or related? Thank you for any help yu may be able to provide.

Options
2020-09-15 20:53:37

@GABB5683 

That might be due to the bulbs in that the switch works differently with them being a v2. However, if the bulbs work fine with the v1, then they should work just as well with the v2. In this case, I would probably reach out to support since your v1 rules out the outlet and bulb. You could potentially swap the v2 outlet with a v1 outlet to further narrow it down, but I am not sure if that would be too much of a hassle. 

Options
2020-10-28 15:31:19

@GABB5683 @Tony 

Has there been any solution presented for this?  I am having the same issue with my HS220 switches.  They occasionally dim and then immediacy come back.

This is real annoying and I'm almost ready to move to a different manufacturer.

Options
2020-10-28 20:08:44

@Salsa @Tony 

Sorry, unfortunately, no. Trust me, I have tried everything and have ruled out all of the obvious and have got it down to strictly this new version switch. It has to be something in the firmware out of my control. Half of my house works fine with version 1 switches and the other half with this problem on the version 2s. Although, if you happen to find something please post me back. I too am contemplating just going back to a manual dimmer frown as having this issue is annoying and embarrassing.

Options
2020-11-01 01:00:08

@Tony 

hello. As I am continuing to troubleshoot this issue and have these Version 2 switches connected, my firewall has alerted me on multiple occasions that these switches are attempting to contact known malicious IP addresses. Can you provide any information as to what this is about?

Options
2020-11-02 13:37:44

@GABB5683 

I needed some 3-way dimmer switches, which tp-link doesn't offer, so I ordered some Leviton switches to try.  I have not had any issues with them.  I orderded just a standard single pole dimmer and installed it in a double gang box beside the tp-link dimmer switch.  Tp-Link dims ocassionally and the Levition does not.  Unless @Tony or someone from Tp-Link can tell me they are working on this, I'll be changing all my switches to Leviton and sending the Tp-Link switches back.

Options
2020-11-23 04:03:48 - last edited 2020-11-23 04:05:14

@Tony Any updates on your situation?  Just installed 2 yesterday and they are doing the same thing. Every 30 minutes this happens. It's quite annoying for a package of $100 dimmers. 

Options
2020-11-23 16:27:19

@Seeking_help I removed my TP-Link switches and replaced them with Leviton.  No issues

Options
2020-11-24 17:09:10

@Seeking_help 

We recommend reaching out to our support so they can work with you in looking into the issue further.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2554

Replies: 14