Access Point TL-WR841N with NetGear FS105 switch as main router?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-03 20:54:38
Model: TL-WR841N  
Hardware Version: V14
Firmware Version: 0.9.1 4.16 v0348.0 Build 180319 Rel.34297n

I don't want WiFi on all the time, I want to put it off & on through the day via a remote power switch on the TL-WR841N WiFi router. But I don't want that in turn to shut off the wired internet on the PC.

I had it set up that way a few days ago for about 6 months (with a different switch & different WiFi router.) I replaced both of them 1 at a time because i thought they failed. That setup had started only giving the WiFi access "with no internet" (the PC was able to continue access the internet.)

I'd like to try that setup again:

I want to use the NetGear FS105 switch as the main router, wiring it out to the Windows PC and wiring it out to the TL-WR841N WiFi router. In other words, I don't want to connect the PC to the WiFi router. I want to connect the PC only to the NetGear FS105 switch. I want the WiFi router to also access the internet thru the NetGear switch. (This would be so that i could remotely power off the WiFi router without shutting off the internet on the wired PC.)

I thought maybe the type of setup I'm trying to do might be called setting up an Access Point?? I hoped that would be easier than logging in to the TP Link WiFi router repeatedly to turn off/on WiFi as needed.

If not, is there a command line switch to turn off/on WiFi as needed that I could put into a Windows macro??

Thanks for any tips, suggestions, help. smiley

Options
3 Reply
Re:Access Point TL-WR841N with NetGear FS105 switch as main router?
2020-09-04 18:32:48

@awaw3915 

The FS105 is only a switch and not a router so the FS105 will need to connect to a router that provides an internet connection.

Your setup should be something like the following:

modem > router > switch > TL-WR841N

PC

modem/router > switch > TL-WR841N

PC

The TL-WR841N has a schedule feature for the guest network where you can set the times you want the Wi-Fi enabled. So you can disable the main wireless network, and leave the guest enabled. That way you do not need to manually shut off the Wi-Fi.

Options
2020-09-04 20:11:31 - last edited 2020-09-04 20:55:32

Thx so much!

As for your last comment, truth be told, I am one of those "health nuts" that personally feels it's not good for my health to have WiFi on all day when I only need it about three times a day for relatively short periods of time & 3x a week for 2-4 hrs each time. (I also keep my cell phone in airplane mode most of the day & have recently bought corded landline phones instead of our DECT phones!!) So that's why I don't even want a guest network on WiFi.

I currently have an Arris TM822 modem for Optimum Online cable internet. How is the feasability of the below options?

1) Get a different modem for Optimum Online that is a combo modem with a router (& without WiFi) that has multiple ethernet ports ? (I couldn't find this though, LOL)

2) Or buy a router (TL-R600VPN ??) INSTEAD of the FS105 switch (for a modification of 2nd scenario you posted below):

modem > router > TL-WR841N

PC

3) Or do I have to use the switch (FS105) even if I incorporate a Router as in option 1 or 2 above?

April

Tony wrote

@awaw3915 

The FS105 is only a switch and not a router so the FS105 will need to connect to a router that provides an internet connection.

Your setup should be something like the following:

modem > router > switch > TL-WR841N

PC

modem/router > switch > TL-WR841N

PC

The TL-WR841N has a schedule feature for the guest network where you can set the times you want the Wi-Fi enabled. So you can disable the main wireless network, and leave the guest enabled. That way you do not need to manually shut off the Wi-Fi.

@Tony 

Options
2020-09-08 18:14:43

@awaw3915 

I would just move the hardware around so I wouldn't have to buy anything:

modem > TL-WR841N > switch > PC

By still using the same concept of utilizing the guest network, you can schedule the Wi-Fi to be disabled at times, while still having your wired connection up and running to the PC.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 699

Replies: 3

Related Articles