Pre Purchase questions AX6000

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-07 19:07:45 - last edited 2020-09-07 19:08:55

Long time TP-link user and IT guy. I will be cutting the cord with cable soon. I will be looking to kill off the Fios router and all the set top boxes. I will be upgrading to the GB internet which sill still cost less than the cable bill.

My questions are,

1) Will the AX6000 completely take the place of the fios router I have? Anything I need to look out for?

2) Does this product require that you register for the cloud service that TP-Link is seeming to be forcing on so many of their products now? I returned a whole house mesh system for the sheer fact that it would not allow me to just set up the system using a web interface but instead insisted I use the app and cloud. Sorry but I lean slightly to tin foil hat when it comes to my network security. I don't ever have a want or need to control my home router from my cell phone and I see no reason why anyone would..(Again, old IT guy Tinfoil...blah blah blah) 

3) does this router have mesh capability? I have 3 TP-Link W.A.Ps in my house and love them. They have mesh capability so I would like to continue that trend if possible.

4) Finally, Any gaming I do would be hard wired not wifi but I do have a NAS which is used to stream personally owned movies, tv shows, and music. Some hard wire some wifi. How well does the Mu-Mimo work with this product?

Thanks in advance for all help folks!

-Mike

Options
1 Reply
Re:Pre Purchase questions AX6000
2020-09-09 16:59:59

@MadMikeee 

1. If you have an ONT box you can contact your ISP and see if the internet can be moved to the Ethernet port. If so, you should be able to use your own router (check with them). I think you need to be on a specific internet plan to do that.

2. No, only if you want to use Tether. You can ignore tether and manage the router like you would any typical wireless router, local or remote.

3. No, it does not. Should firmware become available for it it would be mentioned in the release notes.

4. As far as working well with this product I would check with the NAS manufacturer if they might have tested it.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 308

Replies: 1

Related Articles