Is the AX11000 good? Do you recommend it?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-08 22:55:12
Model: Archer AX11000  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hey everybody,

I'm shopping for a new router, having decided to finally upgrade from my Netgear R8500.  I've been on the fence between the TP Link AX11000, Asus ROG AX11000, and Netgear AX11000.  Something positive I liked about the TP Link was the 8-port switch, whereas the others have 4-port.  Eventually when I buy a house in a couple years and have room for a rack, I'll upgrade to a full Ubiquiti/Cisco environment (I work as a Network admin by trade, but no room for high-grade equipment currently).  Right now I'm looking for something that can provide solid coverage through a townhouse, as well as the surrounding area outside.  Price isn't a problem.  I upgraded to Gigabit through Comcast about 6 months ago, and my current router can only pump out wifi speeds up to like 400Mbps, and I'd like to better utilize my connection.

I've heard in reviews that the Netgear has tested the poorest for wifi speeds.  It seems the Asus performs the best at range (like 100 feet), but the TP Link performs better at closer ranges.  However, I heard a lot of people were having issues with the current firmware on the TP Link AX11000.  Not sure if that's true or not.  Hopefully someone here can shed some light on that.  Also, have you noticed slowdowns with settings on like QoS, IPS, etc?

I'm also interested if anyone has information on the backplane limit?  I can't seem to find anything on it.  I have several NAS devices and a couple servers running, and want to make sure there wont be a bottleneck somewhere.  Originally I was going to pick up the Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro on release, but early reports showed the (initial) models while having an integrated 8-port switch, shared a 1Gbps backplane.

Also, can anyone share why this router isn't more widely available?  It seems as though it's only available through Costco... and I'm not sure why they haven't pushed it to other retailers for a larger adoption.  The C5400X is on Amazon, so I'm not sure why this isn't available there as well...

I'd love to hear anyone's experience with it.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Is the AX11000 good? Do you recommend it?
2020-09-11 21:10:45

@SHADOWSTRIKE1 I've had the ax11000 for several months now and have been very happy with it.   I have about 25 devices including several roku, xbox and many smart devices.   I'm not as concerned with speed as I am getting a good, fast connection throughout my house.   For what I need, this router has been excellent.   

Options
2020-09-12 17:50:49

@SHADOWSTRIKE1 

I bought this router one month back and have been having tons of problems including speed and dropping connections. Somehow it's throttling the speed around 95mbs most of the time, I have gigablast and I get the speed before I plug into the router. Sometimes I do get 950 MB's speed, but most of the time it's limiting to less than 100. Not sure if there's number of device limitations or something else. I had to link extenders and thought they were causing it but even after removing and resetting the router multiple times, 95mbps limit comes back automatically. My previous Netgear never throttled the speed, it had just stopped updating firmware, so had to get new one. I was hoping TPlink would be better, but it's not for me. TP link support has not been available to help either.

Options
2020-12-11 06:16:37

@SanSoo I have been using the AX11000 for about 2 months now and my out-of-the-box experience was very nonplussed degrading to downright disappointed which was in and of itself very surprising to me since I've been using TP Links AC5400 for the last 4 years with no issues whatsoever. I think its a firmware issue but for the hefty price I paid I likely won't wait it out for an update and will just migrate back to my AC5400 for now until finally wiring up the house and moving over to rack mount equipment. At any rate try changing the following settings for somewhat of an improvement to your speed and connection issue. First navigate to Advanced Settings - HomeCare - QoS. Here, above the manual priority settings click the edit box for total bandwidth. Change the setting from "get via internet speed test" to "set manually". Set both upload and download to double the rated speed from your ISP. When left unchanged you will get a good speed on your first test then subsequent tests seem to degrade by a good percentage of the previous test. I have gigabit also and my first test was 950 and eventually testing between 200-400. Now I test around 600-700 with an occasional 800. Next navigate to Advanced - Wireless - Additional Settings. Here set your Beacon Interval to 75 and your DTIM Interval to 1. This will help with your dropped connections issue. If 75 doesn't help try 50 and if you find a significant difference in battery life of connected devices try DTIM at 2. The Beacon Interval is how often the router broadcasts to connected devices and the DTIM is the frequency of data transmission per broadcast so factory settings are Beacon at 100ms and DTIM at 3 so you will be increasing the rate of broadcast and the frequency of data packets to "wake up" connected devices. This will help with dropped connections but may reduce battery life of connected devices as well. Next Set your RTS Threshold to somewhere between 500-1500. This is a data fragmentation threshold that sets a limit as to the data packet size you can send without first sending a request to send (RTS) packet which must then be followed by a clear to send (CTS) packet in return when sending data packets over the threshold. This is a setting to prevent data collisions which when they happen cause the router to have to resend the packet. The theory here is that if the packet is small enough even if there is a collision it will be quicker for the router to resend the small packet rather than wait to first send a request and wait for a clear before sending data packets. This may give you a minor increase in speed also but you will need to play around with the range a bit to find wha tworks best for you on your particular network. I have mine set now to 1100. 2346 is the factory setting and when set to 2346 the setting is essentially off and you are sending RTS/CTS packets with every packet sent including those small packets that it would be quicker to just resend the packet. I hope this helps. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1704

Replies: 3