Acces point shows up as new wifi/connection. Want it to show up as the original connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Acces point shows up as new wifi/connection. Want it to show up as the original connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-09 09:16:41
Model: TL-WA901ND  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi all,

I recently bought two TL-WA901ND's because I want to extend and enhance the wifi in my new appartment (I only need one probably, but it was a package deal...). Now what I want is to set the device up, connected to my modem/router through an ethernet cable, which then emits a wifi signal. For this I have the device set to the setting 'Acces Point' and I got it working. What I ultimately however want, is that the wifi the acces point emits, is the same network as the wifi that my modem/router emits. I'm having some problems currently that a mobile device will or will not switch between the two networks which means they can't properly connect to for instance my chromecast, my smart lighting, or my smartspeakers. Is there any way to let the acces point device emit the exact same network as my modem?

Thanks in advance!

Options
2 Reply
Re:Acces point shows up as new wifi/connection. Want it to show up as the original connection
2020-09-09 20:34:36

@SVV 

The router and access point do not have control over what network is connected to, it will be dependent on the device itself.

I would recommend naming the access point a different network name to avoid issues of devices either going back and forth or connecting to the furthest network device while being close to another.

Having one network name is convenient but since you do not have a mesh network can lead to issues like you described.

Options
Re:Acces point shows up as new wifi/connection. Want it to show up as the original connection
2020-12-03 15:55:58

@SVV 
Exactly, this is my frustration also.

Probably you have to use bridging. Can someone explain how to set up the wireless bridging with TP-link.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 584

Replies: 2