Keep the ASUS Router or ditch it?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-10 14:24:56 - last edited 2020-09-11 16:26:53
Model: AC500  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.1.2

I don't know if the hardware info above it correct so here's what I've actually got:

- AC2200 Deco M9 version 1 mesh network with 2 devices.

- ASUS RT-N66R router

- D-Link DGS-108 8-port gigabit switch

I am going to upgrade our internet service to 1000Gbps and I know that our ASUS router is not capable of throughput that high for WiFi. It does have 4 Gigabit ports for ethernet though. Trying to decide if I should lose the ASUS router and just use the TP-Link system or keep the router for its superior network controls and remote desktop options and just turn off its WiFi feature. Does anyone know if there are any significant drawbacks to keeping the older router as the initial link between the modem and the Deco system? I mean, as long as the internet connection is maintained as a hard line ethernet connection all the way to the primary Deco unit it shouldn't slow down right? Will I get basically the same speeds either way?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Keep the ASUS Router or ditch it?-Solution
2020-09-11 16:08:48 - last edited 2020-09-11 16:26:53

@BIMDude73 

I would not expect the speed to drop that much from modem > router > Deco. If you prefer the router features you can switch the Deco to work as an access point. In that mode, you can wire the other Deco nodes to the router as well if that is possible. If not, you can place them around your area, and they will connect to each other wirelessly.

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Keep the ASUS Router or ditch it?-Solution
2020-09-11 16:08:48 - last edited 2020-09-11 16:26:53

@BIMDude73 

I would not expect the speed to drop that much from modem > router > Deco. If you prefer the router features you can switch the Deco to work as an access point. In that mode, you can wire the other Deco nodes to the router as well if that is possible. If not, you can place them around your area, and they will connect to each other wirelessly.

Recommended Solution
Options