Wan Connection is Intermittent, Troubleshooting Solutions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-11 23:59:42 - last edited 2020-09-13 22:49:35
Model: Archer C80  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.6 Build 200628 Rel.56565n(5553)

I've been experiencing intermittent WAN connection ever since installing my Archer C80's. I've updated the drivers, bridged my modem directly to my router, etc. What happens is that the wired devices and the wireless devices maintain a connection with the routers, but the internet is slow or intermittent. The routers themselves would have a light that flicker between orange and green. I have had to set the WAN port negotiation to 100mbps Full Duplex because there used to be an issue with the router dropping connections whenever Netflix is launched from our TV. Logging into both routers you will find a "Poor Network" notification. Tracert is slow from the TP Link Router, but this is not the case when my PC is plugged directly to the modem.

Here is my setup:

Modem - Archer C80 (A) - Archer C80 (B)

- Router A is Router mode, with DHCP and static addresses set up. Wireless is disabled.

- Router B is set up as a Wireless accesspoint

- There are approximately 30 devices connected to these routers.

Does anyone have the same problem with this router?

And does anyone have a solution for the intermittent WAN connection?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Wan Connection is Intermittent, Troubleshooting Solutions-Solution
2020-09-13 22:49:30 - last edited 2020-09-13 22:49:35

This issue has been resolved via a work around. AP mode setting is buggy. Manual AP mode should be done to prevent Router B from shutting down Router A's WAN connection.

WORK AROUND SOLUTION:
DO NOT SET ACCESS POINT ROUTER TO AP MODE.

• Set Router B to Router mode
  • Set Static IP Address
  • Turn off DHCP
  • Plug Router A Lan Connection to Router B Lan Port intsead of WAN port
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Wan Connection is Intermittent, Troubleshooting Solutions
2020-09-12 00:28:55

For context here are some fixes I've done to help with resolving the problems I've encountered with this router:

Router randomly dropping device connections:

- Disable NAT Boost and Set WAN negotiation to 100mbps Full Duplex, I've had to do this when I noticed my devices were getting kicked out when we launched streaming apps like Netflix.

WARNING, [dhcps]IP(C0A8002A) not in dhcp pool or equal to server ip, ignore!!!
- Set static ip addresses within the DHCP range, Archer C80 doesn't like static ip addresses outside of the DHCP range for some reason.

- Do this at least for your Access Point otherwise your System Log will spam Warning messages every second

Orange Light on Access Point mode, Router reporting Poor connection but Internet is available

- Unplug and plug Wan, there is no fix for this as far as I'm aware but it happens to the router ocassionally.

Options
Re:Wan Connection is Intermittent, Troubleshooting Solutions-Solution
2020-09-13 22:49:30 - last edited 2020-09-13 22:49:35

This issue has been resolved via a work around. AP mode setting is buggy. Manual AP mode should be done to prevent Router B from shutting down Router A's WAN connection.

WORK AROUND SOLUTION:
DO NOT SET ACCESS POINT ROUTER TO AP MODE.

• Set Router B to Router mode
  • Set Static IP Address
  • Turn off DHCP
  • Plug Router A Lan Connection to Router B Lan Port intsead of WAN port
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2509

Replies: 2

Related Articles